Pilot House Aft of the Cockpit?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by KandDConcepts, Jan 13, 2019.

1. KandDConcepts

KandDConcepts Junior Member

Question: Anyone know of some existing designs with the pilot house aft of the cockpit? In the 35-45' range?

This seems a fairly logical way to lay out the deck to me. Perhaps someone could shed some light on some of the reasons why the trend is to obstruct the cockpit use/view with a pilothouse?

I understand that a big part of this is that the cabin top is easier to raise into a pilot house and incorporate as part of the interior. But from a strictly functional sailing standpoint, I feel this nearly destroys the benefits from the inclusion of the open cockpit/pilothouse combination.

I have been on some pilot house forward sailboats and view from the cockpit was terrible. You were almost forced to look through the pilots house to see ahead and as a result, the cockpit was rarely utilized and never really seemed to be enjoyed.

I know some of the classic trading schooners were set up this way in days gone by. With the wheel shaft being long and a wheel on each side of the wheel house wall- very functional.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I designed this boat for the exact same reasons you mentioned. The boat had inside and outside steering but was a only 20'LOA. The center cockpit was a great place to sail-and the inside aft cabin was nice when it was cold or real wet.
    She had a 15hp Yanmar diesel .
    -------------
    You might look at the "Motorsailer" forum under the Hand designed thread(Ungava) for a link to many motorsailers -some in your range.
    See post #5 here by Guillermo: 83' Hand Designed Motorsailer https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/83-hand-designed-motorsailer.29924/
    --------------

Sorry for the poor picture quality.......
    20' Motorsailer designed and built by DL-based on another DL design the TS-18.JPG

20' Motorsailer + Dad-- designed and built by DL-based on another DL design the TS-18.JPG

The little motorsailer was based on this boat(TS-18) that I designed for Thomson Sailcraft:

TS 18 designed by DL.JPG

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  3. KandDConcepts

Thats a beauty of a little boat! Thank you for the reply. I will check that thread out, Im sure many of them are great boats. But do you have any ideas of a boat that stresses sailing performance and comfort under sail instead of motoring?

4. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

Because placing the "pilot house" in front of the cockpit is the most practical and efficient configuration for a small craft.

Generally the aft open cockpit is for lounging around, topside entertaining, and for handling aft ground tackle, swim ladders, etc. The pilot house, even if its just a bimini cover over the fwd end of that cockpit is where the work of driving the boat and where controls and electronics live. It does the dual job of protecting that and the hatch/companionway below from the weather.

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

From Guillermo's list-a 16 footer by Tim Nolan with center cockpit aft pilothouse:
    Nolans description-

I designed and built this 16 ft pocket cruiser for my own use. I started the design as a long and lean cruising machine, roughly the size and shape of the driveway of the house I was renting at the time, but I ended up moving to a houseboat with no driveway and realizing my cruising needs could be met in a much smaller boat, I then became enamored with the challenge of having everything in a compact and graceful package. Heather is not a toy. She is nimble, seaworthy, and well appointed. I cringe when I hear her described as cute. I much prefer fierce, playful and gregarious.

Motorsailer Heather designed by Tim Nolan.jpg

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

7. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Chris White's Atlantic catamaran designs have this feature. Atlantic 42:
    [​IMG]

8. KandDConcepts

Doug- another great little boat. You clearly have a talent for compact go-anywhere cruisers.

James, I understand your points completely and they make great sense in the ways that you pointed out: practical and efficient because the cabin top is already there and so you have put your electronics and Bimini brackets on it.

I have no doubt that once you get into the 50' plus range that the pilot house aft idea becomes simpler. I am just really curious if there are any existing boats/designs that have made it happen in the next size down: 35-45', which to me is about the largest size of boat I would be willing to own.

9. KandDConcepts

Tspeer, thats a very interesting cat! Thank you for posting that into the discussion.

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

===================
    The Oysta in post #6 is 42'... I've seen others-more modern- in about the same length.

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Serena-60' Trimaran-pilothouse with inside helm + an open cockpit each side with steering in each one :
    I was lucky enough to sail this boat. A friend designed and built it and sailed from California to Florida. A great trimaran concept.

Serena2.jpg

13. KandDConcepts

Thank you for all your time Doug. Everthing your posting is great. Albeit motorsailors. I do especially like Jasmine, although she is one heavy bird.

It seems the sailing specific boat that I am looking for is not readily available. Which is a bit of what I expected, as I had looked pretty hard before I posted. The cats/tri's are fun, but not really in the lifestyle budget at this point. I suppose the space requirements for this configuration are to great a compromise in this size range. Or there is just not enough interest.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.