Foil series

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by BigYeet, Mar 4, 2020.

1. BigYeet

BigYeet Big yeet

Hey guys I am designing foils for a Moth and I am wondering what foil series would be best for the vertical and horizontal foils. If anyone knows the recommended chord,thickness,length etc please tell me.
    Cheers!

2. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

The more advanced Moth designs use sections that are specifically designed for the application, using tools like Xfoil. You can put off the choice of section until you've decided on the span, area, flap size, and planform shape. Once you know the range of lift coefficients and speeds, you can design section shapes to perform well over the operating range. It's likely you'll want to design different shapes along the span of the foil, due to differences in Reynolds number and spanwise load distribution.

There are lots of papers out there on Moth design, such as this one. A velocity prediction program (VPP) is essential to estimating the foil operating conditions.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.