Pictures of my current project

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by ucb4ume, Mar 5, 2007.

1. ucb4ume

ucb4ume Junior Member

Alan,

I have been working on fairing the frame between all the other faimly obligations. This process takes time and doesn't really look like you're making progress. I am, however, using one of my favorite tools, the Bosch Power Planner, along with a belt sander to complete this phase. Lots of dust and shavings flying all over the place and the neighbors are complaining about the noise.

I just purchased the marine plywood this past weekend but I still have some more fairing to do before planking. I also need to scarf the 8' plywood into 20' long pieces.

It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I actually attach the plywood planking to the frame. I plan on using thickened epoxy with stainless screws to attach the planking and I will drive the screws before the epoxy cures.

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Danged neighbors! Those planers are especially noisy. I agree with how you're doing the fastening, makes good sense. I just had an idea, while writing this, related to the cost of fasteners.
    i'm wondering if anyone has ever tried using stainess rivets (used commonly in sheet metal shops) to fasten planking. Very cheap by the box, reqires getting at the other side.

Alan

3. elektron

elektron Junior Member

4. ucb4ume

ucb4ume Junior Member

Elektron,

The construction photos are of my new boat. It's still under construction and should be finished late 2007.

The other photos are of a boat that I built previously. I actually sold that boat last month to a gentleman in Canada.

5. elektron

elektron Junior Member

Oh, ic. Do you have more info about it? Construction photo's? Nice Boat!! I would like to build this one myself.

6. ucb4ume

ucb4ume Junior Member

7. elektron

elektron Junior Member

Would it be ok if we speak through an instant messenger program like msn? I have some questions about building this boat.

8. ucb4ume

ucb4ume Junior Member

I have Windows Messenger and AIM. Which do you want to use?

9. elektron

elektron Junior Member

10. ucb4ume

ucb4ume Junior Member

11. elektron

elektron Junior Member

No problem, but I'm going to bed now (have to get up early tommorow). Maybe we'll talk tommorow :).

12. ucb4ume

ucb4ume Junior Member

New Pictures 6/10/07

Scarfing Plywood bottom planking

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bottom Planking installed on June 9, 2007

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Such a pleasure to see it come together. Now the next planks, you said, are mahogany veneer. I'm guessing you're not scarfing those. How will you do it?
    I guess you could scarf those planks by tapering the back of both pieces (not to a point, but leaving a sixteenth or eighth and adding a third double-tapered piece to the back. I have no idea how it's usually done, whether it's a simple butt block, or what.

A.

14. VKRUE

VKRUE Just another boat lover

Looking really nice :)

Hey Hey !

Looks like your making some real progress. Very nice too.

I look forward to the day when the "repair / restoration" is done on my boat (which I haven't worked on in many months) so that I can start an actual building project. I'm thinking something around 25 - 30 feet long with an inboard engine.

Your coming along real nice though, good pictures too. ;)

15. ucb4ume

ucb4ume Junior Member

Alan,

Next I will install the plywood topside planks; basically the same as the bottom planks but using 1/4 inch plywood instead of 3/8 inch plywood. The topside planks will then get a 1/8 inch layer of mahogany veneer and the bottom will be glassed and painted.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.