Mahogany Decking Material

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Ben Biron, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Ben Biron

Ben Biron Junior Member

I have an opportunity to pick up some cheap mahogany for my project (~100 sq ft @ $40). The boards are standard 1 x 4's that were part of a 14 X 14 ft outdoor deck, and besides having a couple nail holes every two feet, they are in excellent condition. The exact species is not known, but I assume it is standard outdoor deck stock.

I'd like to apply a veneer on my boat decks (1/8' thick, made by ripping 3/4" stock twice) and I'm thinking here's a chance to pick up some stock cheap.

I'm wondering if there are any species of mahogany, like typical outdoor deck stuff, that should be avoided in boats? If not good for laminating decks, may be able to use for other stuff, like side curtains, seats, etc.

Any thoughts?