Picture and Story Thread...

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by hansp77, Aug 9, 2006.

1. hansp77

hansp77

I love the random picture thread,
    but I also like seeing pictures of peoples actual boats, and sailing/boating experiences and what-not.
    So this could have be called the non-random picture thread, with the story to go with it.
    So here it goes.

[​IMG]

I didn't take this photo, but this is where my boat is moored, St Kilda Melbourne Australia, on a lovely winter morning.
    My boat is way up the back left, you can hardly see it. You can see the red boat up there, then just to the right of it a sort of line of boats and then poking out just behind them a boat with a brown mast. Thats Altair.
    To the back right you see the Melbourne city skyline, and to the far back left you see one of the big Spirit of Tasmania Ferry's that crosses the Bass Straight every day to Devenport Tasmania.

Hope this isn't too mundane... ;)
    Hans.

2. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Nice picture, althought you could have use a telezoom lens for the boat shot.

Student

3. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

So thats how far you have to row out, now I understand:) What a great view of the city you have, very nice picture!

4. hansp77

hansp77

I found the Picture on Flickr,
    For the paddle, that aint the half of it.

Heres a Google Earth Image of it.
    If you can see it,
    notice the red writing,
    where Altair is
    where the photo is taken from
    and where we park the car, inflate the boat and start to paddle...

[​IMG][/IMG]

we can of course carry the inflated dingy and all our stuff along the pier untill we get to where the photo is taken from, battling our way through the tourists and all,
    but it is nicer and easier to just go the direct route,
    also more fun.

5. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Got the picture

Hoi Hans,

Just looked up the distance in Google Earth, it's about 0.8Km. You really need a more efficient dingy than the Sevylor 360! Also had a look in the neighborhood, the cruising possebitities seem endless in you area. Whish i could have a look sometime.

6. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

Oh, Ouch!! :eek: Good god man, that must be a production just to get to your boat! I dont think of myself as lazy, but going to the boat for no good reason would be out. Thats a serious trip. And I used to whine about not being able to park "in front" of my boat, not anymore.

7. hansp77

hansp77

YES:idea:
    Seaspark, Figgy,
    Now we understand each other:D :D :D
    you can see why I am seeking alternative propulsion

Seaspark there are a lot of crusing possibilities,
    though I am yet to explore them,
    We will probably be sticking in the Bay untill we hone our skills and bravery,
    but Altair's old owner used to race her out the heads to Tasmania, King Island, Apollo Bay etc,
    so once we have the skills we will try to head out beyond the heads.
    I think there is something like only a half hour every slack tide when you can go in or out of the heads. A very tricky peice of water. It is something like the largest bay for the smallest heads, or something like that. At high and low tides there is quite a substantial sea level differential between inside and out. It is just too narrow to ever let enough water through. You should see the water swirl and eddy (I have only seen it from that big ferry on the way to Tasmania).

Figgy, it certainly is a production to get out there. A quick pop down to the boat to hang out for half an hour is out of the question.
    But it aint that bad. Because we are so far out it is really nice and peacefull out there, great views, and sometimes you don't even feel like you need to go anywhere.
    My girlfriend and I usually take one paddle each, front and back, left and right, and loop-de-loop our way out there, laughing-arguing-and-laughing again.

Thanks, guys,

got any photo's to add?

Hans.

8. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

My boat..

This was before the new paint and such. This is down in San Diego, The building in back is a nice place to eat, and just aft of her is the parking lot. (sorry Hans) :)

Attached Files:

9. hansp77

hansp77

I think they call that salt in the wound:D :D

Well at least we have a nice place to eat and drink too, if you look on the google earth picture, that building near where the photo was taken from is a big historic cafe. (even if it is still a bloody long paddle).

Nice boat,
    Have you taken your boat with you to across the country to your new home?

10. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

No, I left her there with my parents, she is going up for sale. For a second I thought about bringing her out, but it would cost twice what shes worth. I still think about it, we had some good times. When we got her, she was a P.O.S.,brought her back from the dead. I wish I had a current pic on this computer, this one doesn't do her justice. Damn I miss her.*sniffs*
    I was wondering what that building was in the picture, gotta be kinda expensive to eat there, tourist trap? The place behind my boat has good prices, but notice I said "nice" place to eat, not "good" place to eat:)

11. hansp77

hansp77

Well, if you're ever in the neighborhood, let me know, you can!

12. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Budget

A ticket to Australia is exceeding my boatbuilding budget, thanks for the offer.

13. yipster

yipster designer

talking boat budgets? Sir Francis Chichester's Gipsy Moth is now sailing world trips with poor children, under supervision of very experienced seasailors offcourse. when nobody payed attention the yacht sailed a reef in the Tuamotu eilands a few weeks back making heavy average and water. help fixed leaking hullplates with glue and board and after the yacht was pulled free it was shipped on a fraighter to new sealand where it now will be repaired for the Auckland Sydney leg. cost getting the yacht of the reef was over € 137.000. skipper and cru got fired but story's are contradicting eachother http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/content/articles/2006/05/02/gipsy_moth_feature.shtml

Attached Files:

14. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Here is a photo of my boat the day she was launched. five weeks after I had purchased her and after her re-paint and partial re-fit.
    This was also in Melbourne at THe Royal Melmourne Yacht Squadron.
    Low tide and almost dead calm.
    It was the start of our 95mile trip to her new home.

Mychael

Attached Files:

15. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

She's a very preaty boat, good job Mychael. I like the color!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.