Millie Hill is missing . . (Your opinion)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jbo_c, May 27, 2021.

1. jbo_c

jbo_c Junior Member

I’m pretty much set on building a modified Millie Hill. I’m soliciting your opinion on what you would think it were missing or just had to have if you were building it. I might not have thought of that and would appreciate the ideas.

Now, if you don’t like the aesthetics, don’t tell me that. That’s already settled for me. I’m talking functionality, whether mechanical or comfort.

For instance, for me, one change will have to be a double bed sized berth. I’ll (almost) always travel with my wife.

Also, for me has to have more usable “outdoor” space.

Things like that. What would you “have to” add?

Thanks for the feedback.

Jbo

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

3. jbo_c

jbo_c Junior Member

The 20’, though will probably build at 22 or 24. Got to hurry up and decide. Want to start at the end of the summer.
    Jbo

4. jbo_c

jbo_c Junior Member

In fairness, it will have as much Retreat as well. More “inspired” than built by the plans. But will be a close blend of the two.

Jbo

5. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

I would put a window in the floor to see the sealife, and it would be the ultimate of cool to put a diving hatch in the middle of the boat,
    upload_2021-5-28_9-37-21.png
    but that would be truly impractical on a small boat. Bond villain awesome though.

jbo_c likes this.
  6. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

Looks like they are pushed and steered by a little tiller steered kicker. I would think a remote steering kicker with console offset one side or the other would really aide in docking. As someone who drives lot of blocky bargelike boats, having one blind side is bad enough no point in having two!

Little console under the window on the far left side of the pics of the 20 footer wouldn't impede the doorway, could be placed just below the window and allow for easy docking on that side.

7. jbo_c

jbo_c Junior Member

Good call, “Com.” I’m actually planning remote steer from a post on the front deck(which will be mostly the footage I’m adding to get the increased outdoor area).

Jbo

8. jbo_c

jbo_c Junior Member

Will, I spent way more time contemplating the “sea window” than was probably reasonable.

Jbo

Will Gilmore likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.