physics and intuition

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Dave Gudeman, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Imagine how physics would advance if Nassim, the crazy old Latvian, and you got together in the same room!
    If only. Sigh.

2. Leo Lazauskas

I've written many god programs containing artificial life routines for seacrh and optimisation.
    Maybe it's time to base a program on the crazy old Latvian and the ghost in his cat's ear. :)

Cheers,
    Leo.

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

And then they both could continue conversation with Kistinie :idea:

4. Asleep Helmsman

Asleep Helmsman Senior Member

Countable is a manifestation of Derivative Mathematics, making it possible for the limited human brain to work with infinity.
    I our present state of evolution; our ability to comprehend does not extend to infinity .

5. Asleep Helmsman

I'm not even awake yet and I'm laughing, thank you.

6. Leo Lazauskas

By "our" do you mean just you?
    Or do you have complete knowledge of what all other people are capable of understanding?

7. Asleep Helmsman

I have a pretty good grip on it, considering mine is at the top. LOL.

But otherwise yes, any math that deals with infinity has derivatives. Not the original countless version. So it cannot be accurately described as infinite.

However now that you mention it, maybe some of those guys on the mountains in Tibet (you know thew Monks) have managed to get it and are waiting for the rest of us to evolve so they can share it with us.

My only concern for today is that a friend of mine is in need of moving, and its swowing. I think I will hire someone to help him instead.

8. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

It seems you may be closer to Tibet than you think.
    May the moving force be with you and your friend ;-)

9. Leo Lazauskas

Excellent mathematical nonsense!

Now we're talking the good stuff!
    I love the Dalai Lama's explanation of how he realised he was the Chosen One. Apparently, a crow told him in a dream about a hidden box with three teeth in it. Guess what? He found a box with three teeth in it!

I hope I evolve to that level one day.

Is that one of the 147 Inuit words for snow?

10. Dave Gudeman

Dave Gudeman Senior Member

Sorry, I tried, but I just can't let incoherent nonsense go by unremarked. From these comments, Asleep, I don't think you know what a derivative is, what a countable/uncountable set is, what infinity is, or what evolution is.

1. Derivatives are calculus thingies. Have nothing in particular to do with infinite sets except that infinite sets can be used as a foundation for calculus.

2. A set is countable if --and this is pretty startling-- you can count its elements. Counting means that you can put the elements in 1-1 correspondence with the counting numbers: 1, 2, 3, ... You can do this for some infinite sets but not for others. For example, think of the set of all possible words made out of just the letter "a": a, aa, aaa, aaaa, ... You can create a correspondence between this set and the counting numbers by mapping each word to its length: {a->1, aa->2, aaa->3, ...}. Other sets such as the real numbers do not have any such mapping (this can be proven in the case of the real numbers).

Notice: no calculus or derivatives in the above explanation.

3. Infinity is an abstraction and to understand it you only need the power to grasp abstractions; you don't need an infinite brain. That's like saying numbers are objects that never age or deteriorate or change over time so our aging, time-bound brains cannot understand them. There are certain puzzles involved in the concept of infinity, just like there are puzzles involved in other abstractions. For example:

A. this sentence is false​

Sentence A is just as puzzling as anything in transfinite mathematics, but no one claims that this somehow shows that our finite brains cannot grasp the concept of "this-ness".

4. Evolution is the idea that living things undergo natural selection in response to environmental pressures. There aren't any environmental pressures that would favor people who can understand abstract mathematics. Quite the contrary, people who talk about stuff like this have a hell of a time even getting a date, much less getting laid (yes, I speak from experience). There is no reason to think that any future humans will be better-able to understand mathematical abstraction than we can today.

1 person likes this.
  11. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

LOL Dave,
    Are you saying that words have specific meanings? :)

12. Leo Lazauskas

That's why I included the link to Sokal's brilliant efforts. He says it more elegantly. ;)

13. Asleep Helmsman

I seem to remember some of that from the distant past.
    And at fifty, women still find me attractive.

But you are completely incorrect in one of your assumption; first the correct part.
    The human race as a whole is actually declining in intellect. The conditions for this decline occurred at the onset of agriculture. When nearly all humans started surviving to the age of reproduction, mankind technically stopped evolving at that time.

So from the stand point of evolving to insure sustainability; this is an accurate supposition.

However, there is a caveat in the process which your prose overlooked. The decline is effected by people of lesser means having more children than those of higher education (a little statistical mix there but the overlap is viable) and the attraction of higher intelligence individuals to higher intelligence spouses.

This condition tends to concentrate intelligence into a smaller subset. Intensifying it, and at the same time creating a possibility for a new kind of evolution; created by selective breading one. Similar to the process that creates new species of live stock for example.

Another demonstration of possibilities is the mixing of the subspecies (previously, erroneously labeled race, we are all technically part of the Human Race) of mankind and producing many new permutations that are somewhat new to the population, and thus, it is too soon to see what long term effect that has on the intellect within the new genetic models.

So basically limiting the term evolution to a very narrow interpretation; could be counter productive.

14. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

LOL!

Nice try Dave, but I'm afraid it went right over his head, whoooosh.

"You can lead a horse to water..."

-Tom

15. Leo Lazauskas

but if you can make him swim on his back and squirt water into the air, you've really got something there!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.