physics and intuition

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Dave Gudeman, Jan 25, 2010.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Mathematical rules are not "intuitonal driven". That is an intuition of yours. If you do the research on the history of mathematics you'll see that the rules were not arrived to by intuition but by following strict methods.

2. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

In my world, 1 + 1 = 10. Every time ;)

3. Dave Gudeman

Dave Gudeman Senior Member

It is amazing how often people on this forum try to explain to me that I don't have adequate education to discuss the things that I'm discussing. You won't find me on this list arguing hull forms or sail plans or construction methods. I might ask questions because I am interested in those things, but I'm not going to try to push my opinion on anyone. You know why? Because I don't have adequate education to argue about those those things.

One thing that I do have adequate education to argue about is the history and philosophy of mathematics and science, but it is clear that arguing with you on these points is a waste of time. Not that I'm generally opposed to wasting time (in fact, wasting time is one of my favorite things), but in this case it has also become boring, and that's something that I cannot tolerate.

So you are going to have to figure out on your own how your intuitive understanding of intuition is wrong. I'm not going to argue with you any more.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Dave: you are becoming insulting because I disagree with you. This is typical of someone who can't support or explain his position clearly. I bet you are going to answer this post and not ignore it.

5. Dave Gudeman

Dave Gudeman Senior Member

I'm sorry that you read the post as an insult. It was intended to be frank but not deliberately insulting.

I regret that our conversation had to end this way because I respect your knowledge of boats and boat building even if I cannot respect your knowledge of epistemology. I am on this forum in the first place because I want to learn something of what you know, so it would be much better strategy for me not to piss off the people who can teach me. But what can I say? I just have a hard time ignoring something that I know is wrong. It is a flaw in my character.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I knew you couldn't not reply, even though you claimed you wouldn't waste your time any longer. You must be really bored.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.