safest and cheapest places to visit with a....

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by boatenthusiast, Oct 16, 2015.

1. boatenthusiast

boatenthusiast Junior Member

when i finally get a boat be it premade or built by myself id like to go to a cheap place for a few years, im sure members here have their own place they like.:p

2. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Depends on the boat,what you consider cheap,your preferred climate,etc
    All you need to do is look at a map.

As for specific places,not talking.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Parked on a trailer in the backyard is pretty cheap, depending on HOA rules, I guess. Yeah, this is about as subjective as it gets. If the place you stop at, doesn't have a local chamber of commerce, it's probably a lot cheaper then one that has one.

4. boatenthusiast

haha i can always count on par to make an appearence, you been in every thread i made so far. so helpful.

5. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

If you don't like what you see - turn the key. Its the journey, not the destination.

And living cheap is mostly a choice. I went to Hawaii for three weeks. Spent about $57 while I was there (mostly gas for the rental car). Had a terrific time. Took all my food with me on the plane. Had to buy stove fuel there.

When I was cruising in the Bahamas, I got to talking with couple who pulled up in a nice 11' Avon inflatable. We got to talking about cruising budgets for the season. They were from Canada and said they'd budgeted about $5000. But something didn't square. Eventually, I figured out that included in the $5000 was the purchase price, refit, and transport of their boat from Canada to Florida! A neighbor had loaned them the Avon fearing they were going to get themselves killed. It seems they'd never actually been on a boat before when they departed Florida for the Bahamas.:!: But there they were.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

My first Atlantic crossing cost about $30 and as Phil has mentioned, the cost of living is up to you. I helps if you've spent some time in your life being poor.

7. bregalad

bregalad Senior Member

Many people have cruised 'expensive' places very cheaply.
    Load the boat with 6 months or so of food where supplies are reasonable and go.
    Marinas, meals ashore and recreational/entertainment exploits in resort areas drive the cost way up. Anchor out and eat ships stores and catch fish.
    Anne and Peter Hill cruised all over the world on very little money. Although prices went up over the years they were able to get by on less and less money as they honed their fugal skills.
    Check your library for Voyaging on a Small Income.

8. boatenthusiast

my message was sarcasrtic even tho it came across, my bad.

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Free places to anchor are becoming more rare. Thirty years ago we could find them everywhere. As more people keep on crowding areas that used to be considered remote, local governments are regulating and charging for it. There are places like Isla Mujeres, across from Cancun, where you can still anchor free. The East coast of Nicaragua is full of free anchorages too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.