Canvas topside?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by tylerars24, Jul 8, 2007.

1. tylerars24

tylerars24 Junior Member

HI everybody,

Great forum.

I just got a sailboat from my grandmother, my grandfather built it from a kit in the early 60s.

I'm not sure what the model is, but I will post pics when I get a chance, maybe someone can identify it for me.

My question is:

There is a piece of canvas on the topside of the boat. It is not impregnated with any sort of resin. It is just painted over. Why is it there? I don't think it is a structural component of the topside, maybe its there for grip?

Can I remove that piece of canvas, glass over the topside without having rot troubles?

1 person likes this.
  2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Canvas topside

Early 60's ? Then most probably the canvas was 'tacked' over the topside for extra waterproofing, and a coat of 'domestic' paint applied .Often a sprinkle of sand was added to the paint when wet for extra 'grip'. Common enough before resins became widely available at a reasonable price.

Prod around with a blunt screwdriver to see if there are any 'spongy' parts. Lift the canvas gently and see what's underneath. Possibly pine planking. If no rot - allow it dry thoroughly. Repair any 'soft' areas - and apply a layer of resin and 'glass' cloth. Easy as that.:)

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

The cloth is cotton duck, I believe, and the paint is what the cloth is bedded onto for water-proofing and footing, so think of it as similar to a glassing job based on the state of the art long gone by even when your boat was built. You will likely find cedar planks or plywood underneath.
    Today, plywood is generally used as a substrate, and fiberglass (or Dynel) and epoxy are used instead of cloth and paint.
    There may, incidentally, and most probably, be lead in the paint, so be cautious in sanding. Use a chemical stripper instead once having peeled the cloth off.
    Rot troubles, I would think, are either already there or will not occur once covered with epoxy/cloth if you choose to use modern methods in re-doing the deck. What can occur is rot begins inside at the highest point (bow, breasthook, etc.) because moisture cannot escape, naturally flowing there.
    If you get it apart, or poke around, inspect that area inside and out, and if rot's found, replace and epoxy encapsulate with new pieces.
    Up on top, if the original wood is in good shape, you may wish to cover it with a single later of 1/4" plywood if boards are found, to improve the fairness and strength of the deck surface.

Alan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.