phd economics

Discussion in 'Education' started by gio_da, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

"Until now, most of the attention has involved traders at Barclays, which last month reached a $453 million settlement with U.S. and UK authorities for its role in the manipulation of rates. Now, it is becoming clear that traders from at least two other banks - UK-based Royal Bank of Scotland Group Plc and Switzerland's UBS AG - played a central role." That names 3 of the 'Banksters' http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/28/us-banking-libor-traders-idUSBRE86R03220120728

Are you a Christian of religious? - think about it...

- I do not buy newspapers, nor printed publications... On the net 99% are "full of it", - - - - but as an intelligent person I am sure you can differentiate (sometimes) between totally or partially 'plausible' and 'Total B.S.'? or just fun to read?

- I learnt to swim from a person I have never seen swim, - - and in my youth I was pretty good - - faster than most over 25 metres, and I could do that underwater, freestyle, breaststroke, backstroke and a couple of other ways...

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Mas in this reckless debt society why don't you join em. Borrow some money for next to FA% and use the boat as collateral . Then sell the boat with a mast and pay of debt with a profit or keep the money and run away and change your name to Mohamed .

Its what most financial advisors are saying these days.

Or borrow money on the boat to insure it and sink it.

Or borrow money on the boat then sail away to another country and sell it where a bill of sail and papers are not necessary or issue new ones.

or load your --a credit card and plead insanity.

Money does not run in streams or jumps into your pocket.

All money is gained by unethical or immoral ways, do you sit down and drink tea while your boss is paying you? Did you sell at a profit. Did you ever sell something that was not worth it.

You took advantage of knowledge that the other person did not have,------ immoral earnings nothing less than insider trading.

3. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Can you teach me how to do that - all or some of it ??? All I need is $200K - any dollars will do - not Bat or Peso or rubbish money - but real dollars. Only need that little cause I'm old & want to go sailing - not motoring & I do like - all things fishy - if they don't cost to much. Thanks for the lessons - I'm waiting with avid breath. ciao, james

4. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

Asymmetric knowledge is immoral?

God ... we are doomed.

5. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

If we follow the American example of 'financial, business & corporate' behaviour - we are most certainly doomed - for the past, present & future patterns of behaviour is mose positively 'asymmetrical' & the USA & 99% of its business people are totally self-centered & have few if any morals.

If the truth is to be told then - we have & are all - world-wide being held to ransom due to the American model of unethical business practices. Ciao, james

6. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

We had a sustainable model in the US. Unethical? Maybe, but compared to what? We are discarding a model that made the world richer and now following the road to serfdom with the rest of those who believe in the anointed. In other words -- I think you've got your cart and horse mixed up.

7. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Such a skewed experience says something about how you do business if you ask me.

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Ahhh, - the debate is "hotting up?", - - - some of the empty headed masses are feeling a little pain and guilt? - - Since 1971 when the rot really set in the only way is to let society collapse in its own dung-heap of economic turmoil as it then (1971) passed the point-of-no-return - - morally, - - ethically - and - trust-wise and pursued the cauldron of doom by greed, fraud, deception, manipulation of markets, and theft from the honest, - - - to continue politically kicking the can down the road and defer any responsible action to stop all this economic disease nonsense...

The blame is ALL of humanities, for not listening, reacting or speaking up LOUDLY ENOUGH... When society looses the ability, desire and capacity to trust others we are doomed, "Armageddon" is mere diversionary bull-s41t... We most likely will collapse with a little whimper into some black hole from which neither light or sound escapes...

Those from, (residents of), USA who cared to look beyond their own naval and the colour of the lint they removed therein, would see and understand that the world perception of the "leaders and play-makers of USA" is very unfavourable, to put it politely and mildly... Indignant arrogance and protestations in the name of God or other superior might does not become you... As a nation where "shoot first before asking questions" seems the norm, and "Might is right", obviously forgot the lessons in the Christian bible... National credibility is sorely lacking...

Hi SheetWise,
    Yes there WAS a good ethos, that was a prime example for all to follow... The serious rot started with the act to allow businesses to form the Federal Reserve Bank... Then SADLY, any hope of honest economic activity died in 1971 (removal of the gold standard by Nixon), to progress rapidly and totally give way to greed fraud and manipulation of the corporations who partnered with the government (That is a FASCIST STATE by definition), By reading summaries of analysis of several recent pieces of legislation your constitution is now an empty promise akin to shredded notes of hope... The disease of fiscal misbehaviour has permeated and spread to every corner of the globe...

Hi BPL,
    Selective blindness does not become you... I suggest you hide your USA accent and arrogant attitude and move around distant countries (you will never learn hiding inside 5 star hotels eating a USA DIET) and listen to how many say what they feel when they feel that they do not have to be "polite to the big brother bully"...

www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=32074 presents one plausible view of those outside USA censorship / compliance requirements.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=32066 is a commonly accepted perception of USA intervention, by all outside, and many under direct US intervention... Shame on USA, for most were USA puppets gone "wrong"? or just not seen as friendly to USA perceptions / requirements of compliance...

9. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Replying to this load would be a complete waste of time. I'm sorry making money working is too "arrogant" for you. You can live every day miserable. You can complain I'm blind for not sharing your depression. That's a complete waste of time if you ask me. Good luck to you.

The first thing you've posted I can agree with. How long have you been moaning and groaning about the sky collapsing tomorrow, money being worthless tomorrow, and casey this gata that casey blah blah blah. If you spent your time doing something worthwhile, you wouldn't have to spend your days moaning and groaning. Complete waste of time spending the day waiting for everything to die. Work today and you make something tomorrow and most of the time you get where you are going. That's the way it's always been.

10. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi PBL,
    Oh the full cry of "plausible-deny-ability" - - I have never suggested that the sky will fall, to the contrary - a quiet whimper may mark the collapse in most global economic systems, it may drag on for years or close overnight. ? ? ? As for those who are prepared, none will be concerned to listen . . . but to acknowledge that the day of reckoning has eventually arrived, - - when the "movers and shakers" tire of trying "to kick the can further down the road"...

My "economic responses", serve solely to - merely introduce a few ideas for your mind to consider and review, as I have read the links and formed my own views (some in agreement and some NOT), feeling that sharing may facilitate your global perception, which may be constrained and restricted - tethered to US media...

- I always live in the now and for the day... I care and have concerns and write in leisure...

- I applaud you on working and making money and presume that you do good work with it - I have never asked, but being on the net implies that you have some leisure time and views to express... That your sensibilities are upset is for you to cogitate and resolve...

- I am retired, now 67y.o., have built my boat, (40ft x 21.5 ft partially documented here http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-building/my-little-piece-peace-25962.html) and enjoy messing around and enjoying my efforts - but much of my private life remains private...

11. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Just pay the correct law company to set up an anonymous bearer bond company in one favourable jurisdiction. Then,an anonymous bearer trust owns that one which is in another jurisdiction. You don't know who the signatories are.Set up by a lawyer,you are also covered by lawyer/client confidentiality. Register your yacht in the trust,you are the captain/employee.
    You can run the yacht as an international business,many options to do.

If that's what you want. Myself,I stay in my own country and have no reason to do that.
    Besides,the Coast Guard will always pull over a foreign flagged boat as opposed to a local one.

Interesting how those who don't learn,make errors and lose on the markets always complain about it and make excuses.
    Those that have done the opposite,do the opposite.

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

All very clever manipulation, however totally ignoring the most serious regulation,--- work permits. These apply in any country.

For example If you registered your boat in Thailand for instance (Tax free just VAT) you would not then be able to drive it without a work permit and as a Thai vessel you then need radio certification.

If you think a breach of work permit regs is not serious just make sure your wife can bake a cake with a file in it. Oh and while you in the nick your temp import paper for the boat will expire and they sell it for you, but it wont be for much because while you were inside they tied it to a concrete pier without fenders.

Vietnam is less friendly, if some Army chief fancies your boat he takes it.

You don't know what its like to live abroad till you've lived abroad.

13. WestVanHan

Could also be:
    "You don't know what its like to live abroad till you've lived aboard abroad"

But he rest of it is really quite simple.

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Westie,
    Living in the litigious centre of the world, (USA), may seem the best place for you... - Until the day of reckoning comes and all sorts of dire consequences appear as sovereign-debt related bankruptcies file and freeze up normal processes... - Several cities and regions have filed for bankruptcy protection in USA... (something like "Chapter 9 or 11" was quoted)

23 pieces of gold (10 oz bars of 9999 pure) - would facilitate your place in a remote tropical island paradise... The larger estates with a couple of residential houses and infrastructure with 240VAC on-site generated 'mains' power will stretch the budget to near 100 pieces of gold... which may then include residency, a new passport for each in the family (financial immigrants) and citizenship after a period of time...

http://financialsurvivalnetwork.com/ is an interesting site with wide ranging views and some links to sites I know and use... They may be opinionated but they express opinions based on their own diligent research and do not cow-tow to the "official line" as the empty talking heads and other mindless "shock-Jocks" purvey...

http://financialsurvivalnetwork.com...-lower-than-it-was-during-the-last-recession/ using the raw numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics in USA for July (most recent release), 142,220,000 employed in USA - - "That means that 195,000 fewer Americans were working in July than in June." ? ? ? "The employment to population ratio is a measure of the percentage of working age Americans that actually have jobs." and is 58.4 percent. - That means that 41.6% of the USA workforce is UNEMPLOYED (admittedly many may be in jails as incarcerated felons, Colleges & Universities as students and some in Hospitals) but that leaves a hell of a lot in misery as UNEMPLOYED... Can anyone believe "Government analysis? ? ?

15. WestVanHan

What makes you think I live in the US?

Paradise is a state of mind-for me that involves weather which is not stinking hot,not having diseases roaming around,and having a vast array of restaurants to go to and people to meet.
    Anytime I want to escape civilization,I go for 3 hours north and will see a boat a week if I choose. 3 hours more and I disappear.
    Sorry,but I don't think so.

As for your usual rant/posts for the first time in a very very long time I will respond: you say 42% of "working age" is unemployed.
    I see nothing in the post mentioning,and I looked up US stats quickly:
    -there are millions of stay at home moms- 6 million.
    -there are millions of retirees "of working age" especially boomers with inheritances.Don't know #
    -there are millions of business owners who do not show up as being "employed". About 30 million businesses....
    -there are millions IMO who live and work in underground economies,and are doing well but show up as unemployed.

...or websites selling advertising,subscriptions,and getting percentages of products sold via links on their site?

Enough is enough.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.