phd economics

Discussion in 'Education' started by gio_da, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gio_da

gio_da New Member

Hi!

I'd like to ask you what do you think about a phd in economics for a Naval Architect?

It could be a good opportunity for the future in your opinion?

Thanks

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Not good, you'll be over qualified in both fields...besides a PhD in econ and $9 will get you a latte at Starbucks.

3. gio_da

gio_da New Member

thanks! I don't understand your last consideration about the Latte.. :)

4. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I think he was saying a PhD in economics, plus 9 euro will get you a cafe at a Lavazza on the side of the Autostrade. :D

It wasn't a compliment about economics degrees.

However, there is no reason anyone can't become a NA. It is just a different path for you and you will forget the economics.

5. gio_da

gio_da New Member

I'm a Naval Architect, but I love mathematical modelling for decision making, so the question about the phd in economics..

6. CatBuilder

I read your post backwards. :D

I thought it said:

1) I am a PhD in economics
    2) I would like to become a Naval Architect.

Are you young? I ask because getting a PhD is a loooong process.

7. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Pretty much. In my career I've found that most of the work in any profesional field is done by bachelors and masters. Once you get to a PhD, there are few jobs and mostly in theoritical reasearch/think tanks or teaching. Naval Architecture and a PhD in Econ are so apart that the only place they mix is in a government-industry board or really high up in shipyard management (both of which you don't really need the engineering background for).

8. masalai

masalai masalai

What for? - - Keynesian economic philosophy is deeply flawed, - - Austrian school http://mises.org/ is not acceptable (mainstream) - - YET, - - - - as elsewhere there is too much fraud and market-manipulation by the Keynesian sycophants of the Goldman Sachs fraternity, at the present - - A waste of time and money and will destroy any credibility you may have in NA...

If you must . . . do a coursework degree or masters in materials-engineering or agriculture, researching composites based on plantation kiri / Paulownia hardwood timber for mast construction... (300kg/cubic metre) http://www.kiripark.com.au/paulownia.html

1 person likes this.
  9. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

A degree in real economics (micro) is a good thing, and would make anyone more valuable as a person -- but I can't see any synergy with NA that will be recognized. A degree in Finance might help.

10. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

You don't need a PHD to realize you're broke. Most boat builders and the industry in general is not doing well. Expect many more companies to close in the future. Now if you can figure out how to reverse the trend then you might have something.

A friend of mine is a major bond trader, he went back to school and got an MBA in taxation. That is not going away but a growth industry.

If I were you, I would study maritime law and figure out where to register yachts and boats to give your customers a tax advantage and protect their assets from the ever oppressing governments. I would be your first customer.

11. CatBuilder

I would be his second customer.

12. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

If you are into Naval Architecture, Marine Science or Ocean Engineering are related degrees but if you are in the field of ship owners/ship management then a Phd in Economics would help or at the very least, a masteral degree in Management Science.

13. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Not that neoclassics, supply-side or laissez-faire prophets have led us to any better, as we can witness it day by day... Sorry for the short side-drift of the thread. ;)

14. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

A perspective following a career in the north american auto industry:

An MBA or equivalent from a university with a very good reputation will be much more helpful than a PhD in economics for a management position related to naval architecture.

Two reasons for a naval architect to pursue a PhD in economics:

1) Personal interest. A very good reason if you can afford the time and cost.

2) Career change. People with strong applied math backgrounds and knowledge of economics have done well for themselves working for banks and other financial firms. Their value to society can be debated. Don't expect to get an academic job though. There is a lot of competition for every available academic job in a field like economics.

15. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I hope you're not a Keynesian, but welcome.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.