Phaedo team to attempt to better Transpac WSSRC record on Phaedo 3

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, May 13, 2017.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

The Phaedo team are headed towards a start on a record attempt on Transpac WSSRC record route on their MOD70 trimaran. The record is currently held by the Ultime trimaran Lending Club 2 (former Groupama3). I haven't seen a tracker posted as yet. The current record to beat is 3 days 18 hours & 9 seconds.

Phaedo https://www.facebook.com/teamphaedo/posts/1401601809878349

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I hope they're going to still race in the Transpac in July?

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

From the Phaedo teams facebook page:

[​IMG]
    Phaedo
    5 hrs ·
    The boys started at 21:40:15 UTC on Thursday 12th its now 15:40:15 UTC on Saturday the 14th.... so the boys have been going 1 day and 18 hours.. this is their current position.. "Lending Club 2"'s current record is just over 3 Days 18 Hours.. trucking along at 29 knots

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

From the teams Facebook Page:

In the darkest hour of Tuesday morning, Lloyd Thornburg and his crew aboard Phaedo 3 swopped past Diamond Head Lighthouse buoy at 4:32:18am local time. Looking like they shaved just on hour off the previous record. The total elapsed time was 3 days 16 hours 52 minutes and 03 seconds (all times still to be ratified by the WSSRC)

As Lloyd stepped onto the dock he said…. “ An unbelievable trip! Can't believe we actually broke the record! This was the most difficult sail of my life. Everything went our way and the team put out a super human effort in order to keep the boat moving at nearly 30 knots through the entire trip. We are all excited for a well deserved rest and some sight seeing in Hawaii…"

Crew on board for the race were: Lloyd Thornburg, Brian Thompson, Fletcher Kennedy, Justin Slattery, Pete Cumming, Henry Bomby and David Swete.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  7. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Phaedo3 is headed back towards California, I'm not sure of their plans but perhaps they will compete in the Transpac as well. They have a video out that covers their Transpac record and their yet to be ratified new record.

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I had heard they were going to race the Transpac. I've really been looking forward to the race between them and Maserati with her foiling system at 100% for the first time. Could be exciting.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.