Petrol = gasoline = fuel storage questions.

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by Manie B, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yeah? you reckon there is no breather in a tank because the law has changed the physics of tankage.

Just confirm that for me would you please.

Turn a bottle of beer upside down and put it in your mouth with your lips all round the bottle like Americans do. Tell me if you can drink all the beer.

You know a little bit Micheal but you have a long way to go.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Perhaps they need to invent a new Frosty cap to preventing him from venting

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ha ha ,---Your making breakthrough in marine engineering Micheal,--a tank without a breather.

If only life was so simple.

First of all it would expand in mid day while your on your Siesta and push fuel down the filter or .....

Secondly if you take 10 ,liters out,---- 10 liter of air replaces it, did you go to school.

4. FMS

FMS Senior Member

The linked document said:

"The requirement states the following; the cap must have a tether, provide an audible “click “for closure, seal up to 5PSI out, allow vacuum in, an external or integrated means to temporarily relieve pressure within the tank prior to fuel filling or connection to the engine and a storage mode to seal the tank which will not allow the tank to vent."

It is click seal for "storage mode" only.
    My 5 gallon portable tanks have always had a screw down vent. Larger tanks have all been permanently mounted open vent.

5. michael pierzga

They say that operators of these new tanks need to be alert. Store the tank in a small locker and if it swells , you might damage the locker door or hinges. Also important to disconnect the fuel hose from the outboard . Some outboard fuel systems cant cope with the 5psi.

Fuel system for new builds in the US sound difficult.

6. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Stabil:

Petroleum Distillate Naphtha Solvent 95% (CAS# 64742-53-6: aka Transformer Oil, HYNAP® and others) + Undisclosed Additive Mixture 5%.

Stabil Marine Fuel Stabilizer PN 22239 and 22240 - Gold Eagle Company
    Petroleum Distillate CAS# 64742-47-8 80% + Additive Mixture 20%.

Google the CAS #

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im standing on 1.5 tons of diesel right now. There is a breather to the outside of the boat,--like every other boat in the Marina.

Careful you don't get bogged in with automotive tanks and especially motorcycle tank breather sytems

8. FMS

FMS Senior Member

The topic is "Petrol = gasoline = fuel storage questions".

9. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

I am not crazy about this rule/law at all, it is MADNESS. There is no way that any "authority" could convince me to have a pressurised fuel system on a small vessel, the fuel tank may be tested but the lines and filters and everything that is connected to the tank is not tested for pressure. Who is going to REGULARLY test the INSTALLATION. This fuel tank is dangerous and will lead to loss of life. There are dozens of aftermarket filters on sale that are not designed for pressure. My photo shows my fuel lines which is standard Yamaha fittings which is typical of outboard motors - nothing special. There is no way that this lot can sit under pressure 24/7 .

To think that by keeping the fumes in the tank to prevent evaporation will save the planet is so absolutely stupid that it defies imagination. From this day on I will make sure that when I get onto ANY boat that the fuel tank system has not been pressurised.

To get back to the topic of rotten fuel, please keep in mind that it happened to me, I had the rotten fuel, I had to strip everything to clean it out, I was thinking that something is wrong with my motor, only to discover the rotten fuel problem. The petrol was 7 months old and rotten, it stinks and goes a cloudy dark colour.

This new pressurised fuel tank will not solve this problem. The fuel cap will keep the fumes from escaping but the vacuum release will still suck in air as the fuel gets lower in the tank. The air it sucks in contains moisture and the petrol will still go rotten, maybe a bit slower.

The only way you will solve the evaporation problem is by having a rubber bladder type of tank, that expands as it fills and collapses as it is emptied.
    Great for big boats that carry tons of fuel but not that practical for smaller vessels.

Attached Files:

• 977.JPG
      977.JPG
      File size:
      138.6 KB
      Views:
  10. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

How about on the air intake-have all the air pass through moisture absorbing pellets like calcium chloride. Cheap and available.

Get a 1l or 2l poly-propylene bottle,put fittings in opposite ends and hose it up= zero moisture getting through.
    Give it a bang every now and then to be sure it's not clumpy.

11. michael pierzga

Depriving fuel of oxygen prolonges its shelf life. Hence the suggestion to explore the new tank caps.

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

All fuel =petrol =deisel=needs = breathers

If not all fuel = hospital

I doubt very much the American coast guard is concerned about the life of your petrol more likely concerned about fume leakage = explosion.

13. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Manie,

I think it may have been fuel contamination you suffered.

It may have been contaminated before it ever came on board.

I believe the sealed (no breather) idea was for storing fuel, certainly not for a day tank.

I use a fuel additive for many reasons including keeping the injectors clean.

Cheers!

14. seadreamer6

seadreamer6 Junior Member

I believe Tom is correct that the no breather rule is for fuel storage, not for fuel tanks used on boats.

The USCG web site quotes fed law 183.520 that very clearly states that fuel tanks on boats must be properly vented.

15. michael pierzga

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.