Petestep. Good, bad, ugly?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by romeomikehotel, Feb 25, 2019.

1. romeomikehotel

romeomikehotel Junior Member

I’ve searched this site and haven’t found topics discussing the Petestep. If there’s threads I’ve missed, please share them.

Otherwise, what’s the general consensus on the Petestep design? I’ve seen instances of small boats using them, I think, but not much info out there about them.

The Patented Petestep Hullform - Professional BoatBuilder Magazine https://www.proboat.com/2019/01/the-patented-petestep-hullform/

I’m working on a 25* constant Deep-V right now and wondering about trying to implement this design somehow but I’m more than willing to hear your opinions on why I should leave good enough alone.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

What do you mean, "working on" ? It is already under construction ? The claim of "less pounding", I would believe when I saw it. There isn't anything radical about that type of bottom, that I can see, the ones of similar type I've seen, were quicker to plane, and hold plane at lower speed, but don't ride as well as "old school" deep vees.

3. romeomikehotel

romeomikehotel Junior Member

Construction is starting next week, possibly the following. In the mean time just pondering last minute changes though I know I need to stick to the plan.

Thats good info though, soft ride is priority and other “efficiencies” secondary so I guess I’ll leave this idea alone.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.