peterson 25

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Kiloman, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Some of this is from memory, some is due to looking a few things up recently because of the conversations we've had on the Quarter Ton thread.

I may have an article or two that talk about Tickled Pink that I will post over on the Quarter Ton thread if I can find them later.

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

No, a 3/4 Tonner would generally be about 33 or 34 feet long.

The Quarter Tonners were generally 24 to 26 feet long.

Half Tonners were generally 30 to 32 feet long.

I am currently in Orange County.

3. mshenefield

mshenefield Junior Member

Peterson 25'3" ior 1/4 ton racer

That would be terrific!

4. mshenefield

Peterson 25'3" ior 1/4 ton racer

1/4 ton = 500 lbs. what is that in reference to?

On the racing results excel spreadsheet I found on this forum,
    the 18 ft boats were in the 1/4 category and the 25 ft in the 3/4.

I must be misreading the spreadsheet?

5. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

The "TON" terminology has nothing to do with weights. It is just based on an archaic trophy that was used for an IOR Level Rating Class ("the One Ton Cup") after it had been used for years in other classes.

Those "lengths" are calculated Ratings, not boat lengths. Ratings were generally close to the static waterline lenght of the boats. So a QT would be a boat about 25 feet long, and the static waterline would be about 18 feet.

Attached Files:

6. mshenefield

A most heartfelt thank you!
    Having owned this boat for a few years now and to finally talk to someone who knows not just what boat I have but some history... I'm blown away.

7. sonosail

sonosail SONOSAIL

Tickled Pink

The 'Pinks' were an Eichenlaub build, no?

Randy Browning
    sailboatdata.com

8. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I believe the TP was one of the first of the Eichenlaub boats, along with El Principio. My understanding is Valkyrie was the plug boat.

9. sonosail

sonosail SONOSAIL

Peterson 1/4 ton

Thanks for your reply.
    I'm trying to do a profile on the Peterson 1/4 ton. Was there another version earlier than 1978?
    What I'm starting with is this:
    http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_ID=624
    Not much you might say.

Randy Browning
    Norwalk, CT USA
    sailboatdata.com

10. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

There were many different Peterson designs over the years that fit the Quarter Ton class.

The Eichenlaub Boats were the next design after Peterson's Ganbare, so they were probably drawn in 1973 (as noted by another poster in the QT thread here).

The next year there was an updated design that was used for the Poseidon molds.

Both of those designs were later updated for other production and custom boats (Chita, Chaser, Contessa, etc).

In 1976 the lighter displacement design was done that resulted in Star Eyed Stella (4th 1976 Worlds) and others.

In the next couple of years there was the light daggerkeel design and the narrow, trailerable design for Tom Stephenson in Australia.

Then there was the very light design for Chita (for '78 Worlds) and the design that became the Navimor (Polish, Conrad 760) builds around 1978.

After that Peterson was pretty much out of the QT business, with so much work in bigger boats taking all the time.

Why are you doing a profile on this? Is it for a website or for publication of some sort, or for personal use?

11. sonosail

sonosail SONOSAIL

I plan on selling this 'profile' to the highest bidder on Ebay!
    just kidding.
    I started my site 4 years ago. You might say I have a borderline, pathological interest in the history of various sailboat classes. (My wife has suggested therapy) The information I have put together is available to the public without restriction. I DO accept advertising which almost pays my expenses. I would certainly LIKE to include some of the information that you have provided, but never without your approval. If you find this a crass, commercial come on, so be it. I guess the only way to judge is to have a look, should you have the time. http://sailboatdata.com

rb

12. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I asked since the use would make a difference in how detailed and accurate I would make my comments.

I have seen your site in the past. I just looked again, and see some things that are inaccurate on the Peterson Page. The CF 41 is not a Peterson design, it is the work of Shad Turner. The Serendipity 41 is also not a Peterson. It is a Nelson/Marek.

Also, some of the boats listed are the same molds, built by different builders (Chaser - US - Pearson), often without royalties paid. This type of thing makes designers unhappy to see their name listed as the designer of inferior construction where they were not consulted or compensated.

13. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I just took another look. I'll bet Ron Holland might be a bit peeved to read that IMP is a Peterson design!

Also, the Formosa 46/Spindrift 46 et al ARE NOT related to the Kelly-Peterson 46. They were a Taiwan yard rip off of the older Peterson 44 design, with the station spacing stretched. Again, no consultation with the designer about this.

14. sonosail

sonosail SONOSAIL

Errors on site

I remember IMP and that it was by Holland. I think one of the Swan models was based on that same design. Actually I've scrapped the whole Peterson 'blurb' until I get a chance to redo. Thanks for pointing out the other errors.
    I am aware of the widespread practice of 'ripping off' designs, especially at certain Far East yards.(but also the US). I try to indicate that a boat is 'derived from' from an earlier design by xyz if I'm aware of the fact that the boat is a stolen, 'splashed', and/or distorted version of an another. Although I'm sure that there are many cases where this is not adequately clarified.
    Anyway, don't want to hijack the thread. Back to much more interesting stuff than this. I think it was something about the Peterson 25............
    rb

15. robdoyle

robdoyle New Member