Personal Attacks Tolerated?

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by Doug Lord, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Toot i just had to give you some points. yet when I clicked on I got a " you have to spread reputation around before you can give any more to toot"

Thats a new one Ive never seen that before????

Is that personal message to me or has any one else seen that massage?

2. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Same thing happen. U have mave given too much point and not spread it to other member. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. kach22i

kach22i Architect

How did the person who posted ****, and had only a single post get a reputation of 8?

8!

Low, but he still had just two points less than westlawn5554X.:D

Admin Answer so as not to disrupt thread: everyone starts at 10

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Reputation points abuse: points FOR personal attacks/ wise cracks

Check this out: post #55 "Canting Mechcanisms": Clear cut admission of the awarding of "reputation points" for wise cracks as opposed to any technical contribution to the subject matter. I'm 100% certain that these so-called "reputation points" have been awarded to the same individual for some of the direct personal attacks that form the vast majority of this individuals postings.
    Renders the whole concept of "reputation points" meaningless:

1 person likes this.
  5. Dan S

Dan S Junior Member

O no Doug has attacked me, I want my mommy. LOL

Seriously Doug, if you can’t deal with the fact that a large number of the forum members think your posts are hype, BS, or ramblings, then you shouldn’t post.

6. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

Doug CAN deal with it, and he deals well. Its when points are solicited that it renders the system useless.

7. Dan S

Dan S Junior Member

What’s the big deal with the point’s thing? Does anyone actually take it seriously, and if so why? I mean come on use your own brain to determine someone’s credibility.

8. frosh

frosh Senior Member

The reason why personal attacks really happen.

If normal intelligent people post viewpoints that have some true factual basis, and have a degree of respect for well meant and well argued contributions posted by others, then personal attacks never would occur.
    The problem really occurs when whatever is rationally argued by someone, in their contribution is consistently ignored by the person to whom it is primarily addressed to, and a narrow minded view is hammered back that is likely without any merit.
    This starts after a time to become not only boring and inconsiderate to any one making a counter argument, that in a sense tempers are lost and eventually personal attacks are made in a futile (in this particular case anyway) to shut that person up. This need to shut that person up, is an attempt to avoid the degredation of the thread to the level of naughty three year children where one says : "Did so!" and the other says : "Did not!" and this continues on ad infinitum. Jesus, I just noticed that my reputation points keep going down!

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Bs!

I'm making an exception here. As you know I rarely reply to your posts due to the incredible level of personal invective and almost 100% lack of relevance. In the 60'Moth thread your posts were never about the technical discussion-whether thats because of your inability to discuss the technology or not I don't know. But I do know that a small "gang"has been formed here that has set itself up as the arbiter of what should or can be discussed-particularly in any thread of which I am a part. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the absurdity of your previous post when compared against the facts or your and "Dan S"'s intervention into threads like the 60'Moth, Canting Mechanisms, Peoples Foiler and Moth on Foils.IF YOU DON"T LIKE ME OR THE SUBJECT MATTER WHY WASTE YOUR TIME ON THE THREAD? When several people act in concert to try to "shut someone else up" for whatever reason they are behaving reprehensibly and can have no defense of that kind of conduct! Who are you to make such a decision when the facts clearly show that your & your fellow gang member DanS's technical "contributions" to the above threads are nearly non-existent? How can you claim to be trying to engage in a discussion that the facts show you NEVER or rarely have? You may not agree with what I say but you have NO right to try to shut me up!!!!! And who gave you the right to tell others what they can or can't discuss??

10. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Doug, this is the reason.

Your contributions have about as much interest to most members of this forum as SPAM that we all receive (unfortunately) with increasing regularity in our email inboxes these days. We delete SPAM from our email inboxes without opening it up, and often try using filters to prevent such useless and infuriating stuff even arriving into our inbox.
    In this forum it is virtually impossible to filter out the contributions of any particular poster, so that in the end we end up with requests to get intelligent or shut up. As a last resort, personal attacks hidden within witty contributions are used to discourage the SPAMMER!
    Doug, that is why!

11. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Lack of technical knowledge!

You are not qualified to talk on some-elses technical abilities for obvious reasons. The rest of us know what the reason is; unfortunately you do not!

12. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Although I have very little interest in foils or evaluating the merits of what may, or may not, revolutionise sailing in the future, I have to say that Doug is entirely justified in feeling aggrieved by these attacks on him.

I find myself avoiding these threads more because of this needless unpleasantness than any waffle from Doug, however fanciful I feel that may be. If people don't want to engage in Doug's debates, then walk away. That is the only 'right' you have on these forums. You certainly don't have the right to censure or heap ridicule on another.

2 people like this.
  13. Dan S

Dan S Junior Member

O How you make me laugh Doug, You try to insult someone and take the higher than thow approach in the same post, and you did a horrible good job at both.

Welcome to the real world Doug, some people don’t like you. I know it’s hard for you to grasp this concept, but it’s a fact of life. For example Figgy doesn’t care much for me, and I’m perfectly fine with that.

Once again, you live in the real, not dougyland.

Source ??????????????????????????

14. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Well, this is getting interesting. Or childlike. Take your pick.
    If you don't like reading something on here, the simple solution is to not read it. Reaming out someone simply for being a dreamer, is not at all tolerated in Canadian culture- are your own cultures any different, folks? How would you feel if you had a pack of vultures pounce on you every time you had a far-out idea?
    Doug has posted a lot of far-out ideas, yes. Some might be workable, some might not. But he puts them up here expecting technical discussion, in the hope that by putting a lot of bright people together with a radical idea, we can end up with a workable radical idea. He's quite justified in feeling miffed by the rude and unprovoked attacks that now stalk him with every thread.
    Mighetto's TP52 thread has been mentioned a few times too. Why don't we just let this thing die? IMHO, people seem to get some kind of satisfaction by continuing it; it's viewed as our humour sideshow, so to speak. Is there really any debate going on there, or do we just post in the hopes of provoking a fight?
    We end up at one of those principles of the early Internet.... don't say anything in an electronic discussion that you wouldn't say in a verbal one. Are we really as rude as we often seem to be on here? I might suggest everyone take a look at their last ten posts, and see what they're like on second thought.

1 person likes this.
  15. Dan S

Dan S Junior Member

Crag, I respectfully disagree with you on this, my reasoning for this, is that Doug has a tendency to inject his opinions into every thread he can, to try and manipulate the thread into something he wants to talk about. One a forum that he is now banned from, someone would start a thread about a project they where working on, and Doug would inject that they must consider this technology or that. The thread then became a debate on the hype Doug was spewing at that point in time. As a moderator of the before mentioned forum I can tell you we lost a significant number of members, because they tired of everything being about Doug and his hype.

< poll for ..... donation option? | Spreadsheets, etc., library. >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.