Personal Attacks Tolerated?

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by Doug Lord, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Toot

Toot Senior Member

I know it. Moderation isn't easy. :)

And I think moderators ought to err on the side of "open dialogue" rather than heavy-handedness. I've got no complaints here.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

"open dialogue" I like that!! I think it reasonable to say that non of us talk on this forum in the same way as we speak in our everyday lifes, I certainly dont.

I dont see why we should be offended by mild to strong language,lets face it you would be hard pressed to go to the gas staion or the supermarket without coming accross it. You would certainly not be able to watch a movie with out hearing horrendous language.

Why is this forum to be a place that angels would come.

As for personall insults or attack I would not care if someone had a go at me. Provided that it is relative and not pointless insults aimed at my mother or method of birth. After the offenders had calmed down and re -read what they had written I think I would be the least embarrased of us both.

Here in Thailand if you raise your voice you have lost the argument.

I say "go ahead verbally attack me you will be the lesser
    man, and I- the greater for it"

Water off a ducks back.

3. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

JacK Forst, Chuk Dee Krup.

Now, where all moderator hang around? Do they have Senior Moderator in the forum of Moderator teaching rules and regulation? It is just athought that pass my mind:)

4. Poida

Poida Senior Member

1. I don't like personal attacks.
    2. I think you'r all idiots.:D

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Poida, thats not a personall attack-- you said 'all' so its not personall is it? Im sorry but if you intend to attack people you have a lot of work to do on you insult technique.

Im not a psyciatrist but i find it very interesting . just what is a personal attack and what is its intent. As we are all on the internet and dont even know the person we attack,--- so why? It probably has more to do with relief of the attacker than actually meant as an insult to the reciever. As I have previouisly said its the attacker that has the say on what is is and what it was meant to do. The reciever could be totally unaware of its intent and purpose.

Insults by there very nature are grossly exagertated there literal content is questionable, Just what was the insult meant to do?? They are just a pointeless waste of words ,---bit like this post !!!!

The only person degraded by insults is the person that makes them.

Give a man enough rope and he will hang himself. let men hang themselves, I say, Its good enertainment. What is a forum that has no entertainment.

6. Poida

Poida Senior Member

No man can be insulted without his consent.

A famous quote by a famous person, but since I am not into famous people I don't know who the hell it was.

And I am sorry Jack, I am so deficient in so many ways even personal insults.

I thought in my ignorance of course that I could mass personal insult.
    Like bulk billing or insult spamming.

Maybe I'll start small and work my way up from there.

I'm an idiot!!

That's it, moderators lock this thread I've received a personal insult.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

8. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

you must mean Canada! because we only have *******s here in America,,,,,,,,,,longliner

9. Toot

Toot Senior Member

No... I think he's referring to Alaska.

10. longliner45

Toot be careful , your down to 17 points an other shot like that and who knowswhat will happen.,,,,,longliner

11. Toot

Toot Senior Member

Whoa! I never noticed that before. At least I'm ahead of Westlawn.

Whoops! Was that a personal attack? :p

In all seriousness, I've gotten one negative rep hit... and that was from the Global Warming thread. nobody's complained one bit about my behavior in the "serious" threads. I know I tend to screw off a lot, but I do make a conscious effort not to be obtrusive or obnoxious about it.

12. longliner45

points,,,,smoints

13. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Ehmm... its 5554x not westlawn, but westlawn student. You cant be ahead of an institution He... have fun guys:p

14. Toot

Toot Senior Member

That's too hard to remember and I don't like having to stop my typing to punch in numbers. How about I just call you "Bob" instead?

15. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Mighetto

< poll for ..... donation option? | Spreadsheets, etc., library. >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.