Perry 43 Plus?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by RHough, Aug 13, 2008.

1. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

I'm listed as Skipper for a Whitsunday charter. The boat is a Perry 43 Plus (4 Cabin 43 foot Catamaran)

Anyone know what I should expect? Any chance that it will be fun to sail or will we be motoring or motor-sailing much of the time?

What can I expect for weather in the Whitsundays the last two weeks of October?

I did a search on Perry 43 Plus on the forum and got no hits. Anyone have so information?

Thanks,

Randy

2. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Whitsundays

The Perrys are not fast sailers but can sail fine in the strong winds of the Whitsundays. A charter boat won't ave great sails but you will have fun reaching and running and also working in good conditions

If you haven't done the Whitsundays before here are a couple of rules I use (I have cruised there 5 times for a total of 12 months)

1 - Be flexible - DO NOT have a set schedule or you run a great risk of having to bash your way around.
    2- Go south when the weather is lighter - Head up to Whitehaven Beach, Shaw Island and further south when the winds ease off and then go with the wind when it hoots back in.
    3- If the forecast is for strong soueasters (and it often is) get up really early - daybreak - to motor south. You can do quite a few miles south before the wind hoots in. You will see the clouds doing great speeds above the island peaks - you will get that wind later.
    4- Stay away from tidal areas in wind against tide - We have had a wave right over our 38 footer when I broke that rule - off Hook Island in wind against tide. (The only time we had green water on our deck) Try to get across the Whitsunday Channel early or when the tide goes with the wind. It heads south on the flood and north on the ebb.
    5- Listen to the forecast - the weather bureau don't always get the northerlies right but they do predict the trades with great accuracy.

I have a pretty good performing cruising cat and I would be happy to go in your place, the sailing will be fine with the wind up. The cat will probbaly have twin fixed three blade props so upwind in bad conditions or light stuff may be hard. Check out Hill inlet and don't forget to spend a night around Butterfly Bay to snorkel. The walk up the hill (about 4 hours return) at Cid Harbour gives a great view. The southern islands - Shaw, Thomas) are off the beaten track - Thomas is lovely)

cheers

Phil Thompson

1 person likes this.
  3. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Thank you! Just the kind of stuff I was looking for!

4. masalai

masalai masalai

I am envious, enjoy your cruise around the Whitsundays.... Remember, in Aussy we drive on the other side of the road (landwise) hehehe

5. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

RHough, Catsketchers pretty spot on with that advice, the Perrys arn't quick but you will be very comfortable, have a great time & all the best from Jeff.

6. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Whitsundays and Perry 43

WOW! What a great place to sail!

We flew into Hamilton Island and met the boat for our check-out briefing on Sunday Oct 19.

First night at Cid Harbour after a short sail in 15-20
    Second night at Nara Inlet after having to take a crew back to Hamilton to fly home to deal with a minor family emergency (son broke leg while mountain biking)
    From Nara up to Butterfly Bay for a night, Manta Ray Bay to snorkle then a nice sail to Daydream for a dinner out.
    We saw 30knots + the next day so my mostly non-sailing crew opted to just motor across Whitsunday Passage to Macona ... more exploration by dinghy, drinking and swimming ...
    Friday we stopped back at Hamilton for smokes and ice then sailed to White Haven
    Saturday we went to Chalkies to see the coral then completed our circumnavigation of Whitsunday Island with a sail up and through Hook Passage and over to South Molle for another resort dinner stop.
    OMG its Sunday and we are back to Hamilton to return the boat.

Great sailing area!

The Perry 43 was our first experience with a cruising cat ... what a truck. :(
    If the sails had not been blown out and two or three years past their expiry date it might have been different. Our party wasn't there to sail, we wanted to relax and socialize so the sailing performance was not a real issue. The boat was in good condition othewise and there were no real issues with any systems. No worries about water or fuel for the entire week, total fuels expense was under $400 for 23 hours of engine run time, dinghy cruising, and cooking. Cumberland Yacht Charters did a good job.

Whitsunday Catering did an EXCELLENT job of provisioning the boat. For something like $30/day per person we had more than enough food for the week. Maybe 7 twenty somethings could have eaten it all, our group of fifty somethings hardly made a dent. $30/day got us breakfasts, snacks, lunches, and 4 dinners ... we had planned for 3 dinners ashore. We could have stretched the food to make 7 dinners. Very impressive service!

Thanks again to catsketcher for nailing it in his reply!

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Paradise is nice :D:D:D Are there any happy-snaps coming?

8. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Sounds good

Hello RHough

Sounds like a good trip. I am glad you had a positive experience -not always guaranteed in the Whitsundays.

cheers

Phil

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.