Perpendicular pedal drive

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by phillysailor, Jul 3, 2016.

1. phillysailor

phillysailor Junior Member

Are there any designs out there for a pedal drive where the operator sits 90degrees to the shaft? I'm building a sailing outrigger canoe, and it occurs to me I could mount a pedal station between the ama and the hull. I'd be pedaling facing the port hull. My weight would be amidships and there would be 8 unobstructed feet aft along the hull under the tramp and crossbeam which would fit a prop shaft nicely.

Ideas I've had are a simple belt system, but I've seen some nice gearboxes in threads... but all allow for the operator facing forward.

2. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

its even better if you don't need a 90 degree angle gear. Simple u-joint or double u-joint will give you the necessary tilt. Check Rick's flexible shaft setup.

I have seen a pedal boat with two peddlers that was set up like this. neck ache is the only issue I can see.

3. The Q

The Q Senior Member

I've seen peddlers, single or two abreast or two facing each other, but not sitting across-ways. My thoughts on using across-ways on a proa style arrangement is that the Crews weight would be too far out towards the outrigger as only the lower legs would be inside the buoyancy of the canoe hull. And having sat for hours, In one direction on a small sailing boat, body across-ways, head looking forward, I'd definitely agree on the neck ache.

4. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

I have also seen foot driven sculling oars -like hobie mirage drive but since you are some distance above the water the sweep can be much greater.

5. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

sounds like it would be easy to set it up so you could face either way, which might be a nice feature about half the time, depending on which way the sun is shining and what there is to look at, etc.

6. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

This has been covered here a couple times before...try the search function.

7. stinkydog

stinkydog New Member

since you're 90 degrees to the shaft, a bicycle style pedal drive is very good for it. perhaps modify so it uses an automotive style timing belt for positive drive without chain/sprocket rust to worry about.

8. phillysailor

phillysailor Junior Member

Ideas along that line might include the (Mind the horrible music)

Mobo

...Mobo bike, where you pedal the wheel itself... a belt could go round the wheel, and to a smaller wheel which is connected to the prop shaft, of either fiberglass or a SS cable/rod. It's those pesky frame, belt and propshaft issues which I'll have to think about.

The other frame which looks amenable to repurposing is the BikeE... the front fork might be an attachment point, allowing the frame to be used largely intact. Nice thing with that recumbent is that it is out of production, and they made really nice seats.

9. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

There is a massive pedal boat thread on this site - read that. Belts are generally not very good. Bicycle components should allow you to build what you need without jerry rigged belts over rims.

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

11. stinkydog

stinkydog New Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.