Permission to come aboard

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by KnottyBuoyz, Jul 21, 2006.

1. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Hi Fellas

Just wanted to introduce ourselves. My name is Rick and I'm a 25 year Cdn Coast Guard Officer. My wife, Lori, corporate trainer, and I are planning to build a 28' stitch & glue trawler from Bateau.com. http://boatplans-online.com/proddetail.php?prod=TW28 We currently own a 25' Sunray Mirage express cruiser which we have been refitting for the past 4 years. We're almost there! Just about burnt it to the waterline last week, but that's another story.

Anywho, I've lurked around this and similar BBS's for years and finally decided to sign up. There appears to be a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience in the membership of this BBS and we hope we might have the privilidge to tap into that as our project moves along. So far we're pretty much on track for a spring 2008 start on the hull.

So it'll be nice to get to know you fellas and I'm looking forward to your feedback as our project progresses.

Rick

2. antonfourie

antonfourie Senior Member

Welcome aboard

3. boltonprofiles

boltonprofiles Senior Member

Rick - welcome.....................

Paul.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Welcome aboard, Rick. Looking forward to hearing more about your project. She looks like an ideal Great Lakes/St.Lawrence cruiser for a couple and friends.
    Incidentally, you're just down the river from me right now!

5. KnottyBuoyz

Hey Matt

Where abouts are you? The 1000 Islands? We venture up that way quite often.

Really looking forward to sinking my teeth into this project. Have a few hurdles to get over first, like building a workshop. Interesting enough there's only two of these boats built that I know of. One just recently launched in Istanbul Turkey, by a professional builder, and another in Oz that's very close to getting splashed.

http://209.190.4.227/gallery/index.php?cat=14142 We've got the plans in hand and ...into the cabin! *lol* Should be fun! Rick

6. Vega

Vega Senior Member

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Kingston, actually. Working towards P.Eng qualification at the university.
    Great boating grounds here. The St. Lawrence, the Rideau, Loughborough.... although there are a lot of really bad drivers on the Rideau....

8. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

Small World

Hi,

I like spending time reading threw this forum too. Fun to see how small the world is, I'm building my boat just up the road from Iroquois where we are planning to launch. We will then move to Kingston, awsome place for sailing and windsurfing, we try to stop by as often as we can.

Cheers,
    Murielle

9. KnottyBuoyz

Thanks for the nice welcome Vega. Yes it's a Jacques Mertens design. Quite a nice looking little boat. He's been promising a 32' version for awhile and has said he's close to releasing it, so we may wait for that, not sure yet.

Rick

10. KnottyBuoyz

What kind of boat are you building Murielle? I suppose I could search the forums for answers but I'm too lazy. *lol* We're just storing the boat for a "Golden Triangle" (Montreal, Ottawa, Kingston) cruise, hopefully leaving tomorrow. Still waiting on a part.

Rick

11. KnottyBuoyz

Give me a call when you graduate Matt. I'll set you up with an interview in the Engineering dept at Coast Guard if you like.

Rick

12. M&M Ovenden

I'm actually closer to Iroquois then Ottawa, South Mountain. We are building a 50 ft steel sail boat. We moved off our little schooner to build this one. You mitgh of seen our previous boat in the Iroquois yard a couple years ago, the Marie Ty, a black schooner.
    Pics of our project here

Mimi Jane http://mimijane.ca/

13. KnottyBuoyz

Don't remember your old schooner Murielle but the one you're building is "HUGE". The first thing that came to mind was "Noah's Ark" Sheez! Quite an undertaking!! I don't think Robert's travel lift will handle the weight of her when she's finished so it might be a challenge getting her into the creek! Unless you launch in the Nation River! Watch out for the bridge clearance next to Rick's gas bar! *lol*

Really amazing! I'd like to come have a look sometime.

Rick

14. M&M Ovenden

No worry with bridges, when we boutgh the house we did the drive down the road before even visiting the property. Then to bring her to the water, we keep the farmers with the big tractors happy.
    Now for the lauch we will only have about 30 % of the ballast in we need to keep it litgh for the drive. The main worry is the beam is a little titgh for the launch dock at Robert's and the titgh turn in the yard.
    For the Noah's Ark thing, I mitgh have to leave a few animals behind.
    If you want to drop by some time, you have our e-mail adress on the website.

Cheers, Murielle

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.