permissible still water shear force, as per GL rules

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by ani.8886, May 12, 2010.

1. ani.8886

ani.8886 New Member

Hi all,

I want to find out the permissible still water shear force and still water bending moment for a RO-RO vessel, according to GL rules. The vessel already exists and the midship section scantlings are known.
    For shear forces , I referred to
    GL chapter 5- section 5 (longitudinal strength) - E -2. Vertical shear forces.
    Qsw = Qt - Qwv

Qt is function of permissible still water shear stress, which in turn, is a function of Qsw (refer section 5-E-3.1)

Please suggest an alternative to determine the same.

The ship's height is 13 m , its neutral axis is 4.7 m above keel and its area moment of inertia about neutral axis is 27 m^4 (my calculation as per midship section drawing).

Someone has already done the calculation with permissible still water shear force coming out to be (+ or -)23000 kN in harbour condition, at the given section. I would like to know how he has arrived to this value.

2. conceptia

conceptia Naval Architect

can you post the complete rule?

3. ani.8886

ani.8886 New Member

i have attached pdf file containing section5 - longitudinal strength.
    I referred to these rules

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.