Perkins T6 354M expected life

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Zappi, Dec 8, 2008.

1. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"Don't use starter fluid for starting."

However if the engine room temp is at 0F or below Starting fluid is considered an Alternate fuel, and a simple shot is OK.

The technique is to crank for 20 seconds , wait 30 for the heat to penetrate the block and do it again.

Before the 3rd crank a 1 or 2 second ether shot in the intake will get the engine going , with no damage at all.

Any other time ,(Above about 20F) sniff the ether if you must but don't give it to your engine !!

FF

2. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

the 354 block was good one
    engines do not wear out they rot out, SO, if you take a compression test, and all is ok, then you know that this engine could run 10,000 or even 15000
    closethe exhaust pipe off when not in use, thsi will stop the valves rusting from cold salty air From memory the 354 is a dry linered engine, or wet, cant rememebr, so unlike a car which is bored in the block, you can replace thsoe liners, one day if necessary
    change your oil and filters reg basis and make sure(although this probably is ok) that the engine can reach rated rpm, in other words it does not lug
    i knew the Perkins girls, from the actual founding family, her dad
    who took over from grandfather was seriously smashed in car crash setting up plant in Brazil, he went to NZ bought farm there, sold co to Massey FERGUSON; wheel tractor makers, best in world
    cheers

3. Zappi

Zappi Senior Member

Thanks for all the great replies! Thats a great tip for aerosol paint nozzles. I will remember that.
    As for huffing... Gone are those days(for me anyways).
    I feel confident in 2700 hours on this engine now. I will still pay for an engine survey just to see the compression.
    Is it possible they can do a sort of ultrasound on the heat exchangers to see whats going on inside them?
    Aaron

4. Zappi

Zappi Senior Member

Since salty moisture thru the exhaust is such a bad thing for probably all motors... Why doesn't West Marine sell elastic watertight seals for the exhaust? Or do they?

5. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

a properly configered install will have a valve to shut off the exhaust, and on some systems a one way valve ,i suppose you have a 4 inch ID, and a valve this size is starting to cost, plus takes up a lot of space

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Is it possible they can do a sort of ultrasound on the heat exchangers to see whats going on inside them?

Cheaper and simpler to just purchase a set of gaskets and a new zinc , and take em apart and clean them.IF there crap , you will notice.

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.