Changfa diesels?

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by parkland, Nov 4, 2014.

1. parkland

parkland Senior Member

Has anyone ever heard of changfa diesel engines?

They appear to be a horizontal low speed diesel engine from china, but unlike a lot of chinese engines, there seems to be some positive opinions as far as quality and lifespan.
    They seem to be 10 - 30 hp, and are for tractors.
    RPM seems to be about 2000 .

They are heavy, but not as bad as the listeroids.
    They look like they could be a good compromise for someone who wants a slower speed diesel, but a listeroid would be too extreme.
    Plus the listeroid engines are only 6 - 10 hp unless you go to twin cylinder, then it's even bigger and heavier.
    10 - 30 hp is sort of an ideal range for smaller boats. Especially the pontoon paddle wheel boat projects that some guys want to do.
    It seems that being a tractor engine, they should hold up better than say a yanmar air cooled clone engine.

http://www.changfanz.com/cf_cpzs_e.aspx?id=31&cpid=58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeuFvLHuF2g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7aubXWtYVo

As with many imported engines, there are clones of clones, and different quality in different brands, but at least a few of them are apparently really great engines.
    And being able to hand start them in a pinch, is a plus also.

What do you guys think?
    Maybe perfect for a smaller boat that is a toy, and not a serious work machine.

2. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

You answered your own question.

The actual Changfas are great engines.I have a couple, and you can run almost anything in them. And even some of the clones are great.

The problem ones are clones of clones of clones so you can have two clone Changfas and the parts aren't interchangeable.

Lianfas seem ok.

The old Kubota non-EPA molds were bought,and now they are knocking those out-something to consider.

3. parkland

parkland Senior Member

How do the actual changfa's register on your trust-o-meter?
    Do you feel they could easily run for thousands of hours as some say?

4. WestVanHan

Like any diesel it's all about the loading as well as quality.

I got a couple for a friend with a remote cabin and gold claim on a placer creek wayyyyy off in the Chilcotin-to run a pump for the sluices and make a little power.

Two months a year,maybe 10-12 hours a day for 6 years now so 3-4 thousand hours. So far so good.
    The bigger ones come with an overhaul kit-all the tools you need,rings,bearing,injector,gaskets,valves,cam gear etc.

Anywhere you go in SE Asia, all you see is Changfa walking tractors and pumps and gensets.

5. WestVanHan

Oh I missed the Listeroid in a boat idea-forget it.
    Splash lubrication only,and a 10 hp Listeroid...the flywheels weigh about 500 pounds as a guess. Two pretty big guys,it took us both pushing hard to stand them up.

It won't run without them,and trying to make up that inertia in a drive shaft and prop....oh crap you'd need a quite a few meters of 1' diameter solid steel shafting to come anywhere near that,as a wild guess.

Imagine the forces of a 500 pound and 3' flywheel at 1000 rpm.

6. parkland

parkland Senior Member

Yeah but the flywheel is so big, if the engine fails, or you run out of fuel, you could still make it back to shore before it stops spinning. lol.

7. jmiele3

jmiele3 Junior Member

These are very common in the Philippines on tractors / agricultural use. Inexpensive and pretty versatile little engines. Biggest issues will be if you have a strong dealer near you for spares or service.

For commercial use, I would not rely on life cycle info provided. For recreational, maybe OK.

My opinion only.

8. fredrosse

fredrosse USACE Steam

These engines look like the Yanmar engine line of 40 years ago. Very reliable little engines, I ran a Yanmar TS-60 (4HP @ 1800 RPM) to heat my house and generate my electricity, 24-7 for almost 10 years. Engine was still running fine when the divorce happened, and I understand it went to another mechanic who continued to self generate heat and power.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.