Racor Turbine Filter Location

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by fritzdfk, Oct 26, 2016.

1. fritzdfk

fritzdfk Junior Member

I am going to install a Racor 500 series filter on a 30 hp diesel engine. Is there a limit to the cumulative distance tank -filter-engine? I would like to mount the filter in a compartment aft of the engine and the fuel tank is just forward of the engine. Perhaps it is just a matter of sizing the fuel lines, larger from tank to filter to just before the secondary to what ever size that is.

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I like to mount then where they are easy to access. But the answer has to do with the pump on your engine. I used the word them, I usually put a 30 micron and 2 micron in line.The 2 micron only allows the cleanest fuel through, but the 30 catches the big stuff.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The main problem with location so far from the engine is the difficulty in bleeding out the air after changing filters. You will need to circulate a larger volume of fuel. I have installed inline electric fuel pumps for bleeding. They save a lot of time.

4. joel1847

joel1847 New Member

Not sure if the Razor is a push or a pull filter but it may make a difference on such a small fuel pump for your engine. A cheap electric fuel pump would solve that problem and your air intrusion that you will get during filter changes. For air bleeding you could also install a shredder valve like Navistar did on the Ford 6.9/7.3

Joel
    Norcal

5. Chuck Losness

Chuck Losness Senior Member

I have a racor 500 on my Gulfstar 37. It is mounted so that it is the highest point in the fuel line. I also have a shut off valve on the tank side of the filter. Close the valve and take the top off the filter. Replace the filter and fill with diesel. Put the top back on and open the valve. I rarely have a problem with air in the fuel line. Any air rises to the top of the filter. I have occasionally just started the engine with no problems. But mostly I do a quick bleed at the injection pump just to be on the safe side. Don't forget that the racor 500 has inlet and outlet with a built in check valve. If you get the lines reversed fuel won't flow throw the filter. Good luck with your project

6. fritzdfk

fritzdfk Junior Member

Chuck, Do you have an electric priming pump in the system? Or do you rely on the mechanical pump primer?

7. Chuck Losness

Chuck Losness Senior Member

I just rely on the mechanical lift pump on the engine. It is no big deal to bleed the fuel lines if I have too. Takes 5 maybe 10 minutes max to bleed my fuel lines. My engine is a Perkins 4108. One friend of mine has one of the squeeze bulbs like you use on an outboard in the line from the tank to the filter to fill his filter and to bleed the system. The bulbs do deteriorate after awhile so you have to keep an eye on it. Another friend has a small tank mounted higher than the filter and engine and just gravity feeds the filter. I don't recall if that will also bleed the fuels lines. And I have another friend with a small electric automotive fuel pump mounted in the fuel line to fill his filter and bleed the lines. Some of the electric pumps have to run all the time the engine is running because fuel won't pass through them.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.