Perini Navi 'Legacy'

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by RHP, May 9, 2016.

1. RHP

RHP Senior Member

I'm sure we all remember the 158' Perini Navi that got caught in Hurricane Wilma and driven onto the tidal flats in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary back in 2005, taking 2.1/2 years to get her freed, then a further 6 years to eventually win the insurance case.

Whatever happened to her? Her owner resolved to restore her to her former glory however it's close to impossible to find any recent news or pictures.

Anyone know what happened?

2. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Any news on Legacy?

3. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Boy that does look like it was a fiasco. This is the latest article I could find which offers the lessons learned while insuring a big boat like this.

"1) “The first thing is to assume you’re going to get screwed,” Halmos says. “Don’t believe their [insurance company’s] crap. That ‘we’re here to help you and are on your side’ is all bull.”

2) The second thing is to hire a lawyer right away."

http://www.allatsea.net/peter-halmos-insurance-claim-tips/

4. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Anyone know whether she is still stranded or been recovered. The internet (surprisingly) has no news.

5. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

When this and the older sister thread started Legacy's hulk was already docked in a near Key West marina on the Bahamas, where she serves as a kinda waterfront cabin for her owner Peter Halmos and his son Nick.

In ± 2008 they dredged an about mile long trench through the seagrass flats in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary where she was marooned by Hurricane Wilma in 2005, and floated her 11' draft hulk out off the shoals where she rested for ‘only’ 2½ years . . . .
    The photos belonging to the above article . . . . .

1. [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

4. [​IMG]

5. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  6. Angélique

There's an older sister thread, with the same name: Perini Navi 'Legacy'

P.S. - I suggest to carry on with the SY Legacy discussions here on this newer thread.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  7. Angélique

[​IMG]

‘‘ This is the 158 foot S/Y Legacy, an Italian-built Perini Navi super yacht, the property of American tycoon Peter Halmos. Hurricane Wilma carried the yacht onto salt flats near the Florida Keys on October 25, 2005. ’’

‘‘ . . . . Finally, in February 2008, Legacy was free at last, after several unsuccessful attempts. Specially commissioned equipment displaced the sand in front of her, foot by foot, allowed a towing vessel to begin pulling her forward. The full process took six months. Halmos and the salvage team towed the sailing yacht to Fleming Key in Florida, then to a shipyard in the Bahamas for repair. . . . . ’’

8. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Angélique, thanks so much, I don't know how I missed the fact that she'd been successfully recovered. I knew about the insurance court battles but missed out on the boat's movement. It seems a shame the owner doesn't re-rig her and get her sailing again but I can imagine the cost, I guess if the insurance had covered that he would have gone ahead with it. I wish him well.

9. Angélique

Well Richard, it was a pleasure digging it up, but I'm afraid we have to speak about MY Legacy for a while, and only heaven knows for how long . . . :(

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017

10. Robert Bader

Robert Bader New Member

I believe the legacy might have went back in 2018 to Perini Navi (at least I believe it says so on their site). Anyone seen this vessel around? Hopefully it was finally restored back to its full glory.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.