Performance potential of old Unlimited hydroplane concepts

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by RatliffFranklin, Feb 19, 2007.

1. RatliffFranklin

RatliffFranklin Previous Member

Many years ago Unlimited (Gold Cup) hydroplanes were built with twin engines and twin screws.

It would be interesting to see what kind of straightline performance might be available if current Unlimited designs were updated with these old concepts to give them some real horsepower, for example using twin General Electric T-64 turbines instead of a single Lycoming T-55.

Could a 300 mph prop-driven boat be possible?

2. Dan Ellison

Dan Ellison Junior Member

300mph is possible, A T-55 that spins 15000rpm combined with a modern drag boat w-drive in my outrigger would accomplish that speed easy. We run smaller props and overdrive them with ratio's 2.30 up to 2.60. modern fuel engine at say 8000-9000rpm. Add 6-7000rpm to that with the turbin, and even with a small gear, say a 2.30 with 12x16 propellers with 20% slip=360+mph. Thats a concervative #.

3. RatliffFranklin

RatliffFranklin Previous Member

Potential

That was my other question, whether just as much might be accomplished by putting a single turbine in a drag boat hull.

I don't know what's the case now, but at one time a surplus T-64 was cheaper and easier to find than a T-55.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.