Performance Catamaran Boats Plans?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Garrett7, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Garrett7

Garrett7 Junior Member

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here and first i'd like to thank everyone who has posted on this forum. I have found lots of great information already.

I'm in search of plans to build a high performance catamaran. Something between 17-25' long I have searched the internet and had no luck finding what I am looking for. Something like an open canopy Xcat or the likes. included are a couple images. media-18473.gif 9f2e61b983a2dbde1a1749c2cc81eb39.jpg

2. DSR

DSR Junior Member

Hi Garrett7,

New here myself but have been into performance boats for quite a while and getting ready to build a little one-off Mod-VP hull. Different animals, but many similarities.
    I haven't seen any actual build plans for one of these tunnel hulls that you're looking for but maybe a couple suggestions to look into.
    Most likely you will have to create a build plan to get what you want so I would start by contacting Jim Russell at Aeromarine Research (jimboat here on the forum) about the design aspects of the hull. He is a fount of knowledge regarding tunnel hull design and was a tremendous help with my project. Then get a NA involved that is familiar with this type of hull for the construction aspects of the build.
    Sounds like a cool project and if you don't mind me asking, what are your goals with the boat? What medium are you planning to build it with? What type of powertrain do you want to use?

Thanks,
    Dave

Jimboat likes this.
  3. Garrett7

Garrett7 Junior Member

Thanks for the input. I actually bought "secrets of tunnel hull design" a while back which has been useful but somewhat of a hard read!

Im not really set on any build material yet. Once its planned out, I think i will have a good idea of what material will give me the best results.

I just want to build a fast pleasure craft that can take some big water and ive always liked tunnel hulls.

4. DSR

DSR Junior Member

Haha. Yeah, I have to agree that the book is definitely not a casual read, but a lot of very good info.
    I ended up getting the software after the book and for what I wanted to do, I figured the price was worth the investment to create good functional designs, and it absolutely was. Very easy to use, quick and easy to alter specs, and a ton of info to be able to analyze. When I started my project, I had no idea what was involved in a correctly designed tunnel hull and going through the process with Jim was a real eye-opener!
    In my mind, it costs just as much, or even more, to do it wrong as it does to do it right, not to mention that getting it wrong with these types of hulls and their intended use could definitely hurt more than your wallet. :p

5. Garrett7

Garrett7 Junior Member

Cool! glad to hear about your experience with the program. I was tempted to buy it, but was weary due to the price. I think im going to go ahead and get it. I have a few projects in mind that I could use it for. Im curious about your Mod-VP. Do you have a build thread?

6. DSR

DSR Junior Member

Yeah, the program sure beats sitting at the table with a scientific calculator, paper and pen, especially since I'm planning on doing more than one boat also.

And thanks for the interest in my little piece of insanity. I've got a build thread that I started a while back over on the Glen-L forum ("Starting my first build with a jet TNT") since my little water-bound go-kart is based off their 11' TNT outboard runabout as a practice build before I do the one I really want, but it kinda gained a life of it's own and I've made so many changes to it (stretching it from 11' to 12' 6", converting it from 10hp outboard to an inboard jet drive with a 165+hp Honda turbo PWC powertrain and now doing a Mod-VP tunnel hull bottom design, etc.) I'm starting to think it may have been easier to start from scratch.......

I'm in the process now of rendering it in 3D to "fair" it out and get datum points so I can loft it full-size.....

7. DSR

DSR Junior Member

Hi Garrett7,

Just wanted to stop by to say hi and see if you've made any progress on your project?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.