Deniers Pvc fabric??

Discussion in 'Materials' started by russyto, Jun 4, 2013.

1. russyto

russyto Junior Member

Hi! i want to make some inflatable pontoons. Large 11ft, diameter 18".
    I thinking in use 0,9 mm pvc fabric,but, deniers? wath do you think? How many deniers?
    And where can i buy online the fabric? (In usa) Im from argentina.. Here the Pvc fabric is horrible! no good factories.
    I made a pontoon with argentina's fabric. Results? i want to cry!
    You can see in the picture how breaks the plot!!
    Recomendations...

Attached Files:

2. russyto

russyto Junior Member

This is the best fabrics i can find in argentina. opinions?? "attachment"

Attached Files:

3. jonr

jonr Senior Member

I learned that the cement used is critical. I tried a few and HH-66 was much much stronger. A heat gun also helps and supposedly low humidity conditions are needed (HH-66 worked well for me at 50% with some heat from the heat gun).

I found that the thickness of the fabric doesn't make much difference - .9mm /1100 denier fabric used for roofing is good. If it gets a puncture, it is probably because of something sharp and would have also happened with 1.1mm fabric.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.