Perfect poor man's minumal part time Passagemaker

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wavewacker, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

This is a takeoff on several other threads keeping with some of the points made from each. "Passagemaker" capable of exploring waterways, shallow waters and limited off shore areas to explore islands and liveaboard with limited amenities as in line with camping standards.....(more of a week long cruiser).

General Requirements:

A MOTORSAILOR to be used for short off shore cruising of less than 250 miles in expected fair weather, but capable of surviving short events of poor weather, pop ups, of 4 hours in winds of less than 50 knts. Self righting or foam filled generally regarded as being unsinkable. Cruising areas being the Gulf of Mexico, Eastern United States and Canada, lakes and rivers, suitable for the "Great Loop". Bridge clearance 25' or easily lowered mast. Maximum draft, keel up, 18 inches. Must be trailerable.

Additional Requirements:

Budgetary constraints, under $25,000 US. MAXIMUM, maybe be considerable less!

Enclosed head with "warm" sit down shower (solar water?) and black/gray water holding tank. Could be standing shower.

Galley, 12V/propane refergeration of less than 10 cubic feet, manual or 12V water pump, propane stove, or equiv. Seated dinning for two.

Crew of 2 generally, capacity for short durations 5 people. Stowage for provisions for 2 for two weeks, along the lines of backpacking provisions.

12V system, solar capable, portable gen set carried, 2.5KW minimum. Adequate ventilation below. Camper style propane heater.

Tow or carry a 8' inflatable raft/dingy.

Outboard power preferred.

Acceptable considerations:

Limited cockpit, for two.

RV type airconditioning, chart table area for laptop.

Existing production boats new or used, may be modified or any kit boat or homebuilt with basic woodworking skills suitable for a first time or limited amature builder.

Comments:

Hoping that some smaller boats could be considered than those discussed in other threads. Obviously, with a draft of 18" this probably can't be 40' in length and the trailerablity also limits beam.

These requirements can easily be met in a boat under 30', but probably over 20'.

It's not a boat to sip pina coladas on deck while underway. Comfort is a compromise and that is well understood. Seaworthness can be reasonable obtained with acceptable risks, there are hundreds of boats under 20' that have been sailed offshore than the expected distances mentioned. So, in keeping with the fact that it is possible, as uncomfortable as it might be, a baot does exist allowing such passages. What could it be? :confused:

2. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

My fingers fly faster than my brain engages sometimes, with "minimal" effort! Sorry about typos...

3. wardd

wardd Senior Member

I'd like 8' x 30' so it can be trailered

also I'd want an inboard diesel and displacement speed

also I'd want to take the goose along, she has her own pfd

4. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

Not sure what your question is in regards to a small cruiser but a lot of the earlier boats are available cheap, then modify to your liking.
    Here is a san juan 26 I just bought a couple months ago, camping acomidations with stand up room in the aft cabin area. could be modified to what your wanting and trailerable, this one is fixed keel but most were swing if thats what you want.
    Tom

Attached Files:

5. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Great Tom, got power back there? That looks like a good one, I know that is a proven design!

6. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

As said, available used boats are going to be far cheaper and quicker to acquire than building. Some of your requirements don't match up with others all too well. For instance, refrigeration and air conditioning don't fit well with the other stuff leaning toward more primitive cruising. You need to pin down just what
    is gotta have and what is nice to have. Here are a couple boats with a track record that are relatively easy to build, have both shallow water and some offshore capability and can vary the interior quite a bit to suit.
    http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/princess26.htm

7. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Tom Thanks! Yes, I had that under Acceptable..meaning it would be nice, but not necessary. I read an article about modifying an automotive AC unit for a boat run off an electric motor. Just blew into the cabin, I don't know that I could do that, maybe have it done. Some RV air units I've seen just poped a hole in the cabin top or used a hatch opening. Not really necessary.

I like the Sharpie and what I've read about them. That is the largest I've seen.

I realize the best route is just buying a used boat and slapping a motor on the back and toss in an extra gas tank.

Just read an article about a guy who did the great loop in a 15' pocket cruise, a new boat, removed the rigging and had two 2hp outboards pushing it at 8knts. I'd like to go a little faster.

But any other ideas? This came out of the other threads, so it's not just about what I would do, seems there was an insistance that the boat had to be much larger, so this opens up the lower end, so to speak.

I like that "primitive" cruising, LOL.

8. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Faster than 8kts? Is that serious? You are not talking about any common sailboat. That triple ugly M26X or the Hunter clone come to mind. These will do what you want. Probably need to look closely at the rigging and beef up some of it.

Truely, if you have to go faster than 6kts, you night go with a powerboat and eliminate half your problems.

9. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

Yes this one has a yachtwin 8 hp, not realy big enough to motor long distance but it's ok for docking.
    From what you are describing you want and the speed under power, the M26X sound like a prime canadate

10. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Tom, I'm familiar with the 26X. Not so much with the Hunter. I think while the Hunter is better built, the 26X has a better layout, more livable. I mentioned in another thread here about the 26X and conversations I had with a factory engineer. It's really designed for protected waters and he said he wouldn't go off shore! However, that was several years ago and the new one, 26M, has a video offshore in rough weather, so guess that one is improved.

I think for the money, we can find a better built boat, but have to admit, it's an option. Yours would be more interesting.

8kts, that what was written in the article on the 15' doing the GL under power with two 2hps, lots of power.

Guess I can't say anything about speed until a boat is picked. Then it's hull speed and the HP required to achiev that, with a little in reserve.

Thanks Tom for the suggestion.

11. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Self righting or foam filled generally regarded as being unsinkable.

Not really realistic , considering the volume of air required.

Perhaps a flotation device (bag?) mounted below , CO2 powered if ever needed?

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.