planing hull with a keel?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by George K, Dec 18, 2012.

1. George K

George K Junior Member

good day!
    i am trying to understand if a hull that has been given to us is a planing hull or not. it has a keel, but what worries me is that the the hull towards aft rises and flattens out, to accommodate the shafts and props. a flat aft is good for planing obviously, but what about the fact that it rises?from the front it looks the business: sharp entry, hard chines.
    any thoughts?

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

post some detailed pictures of what you got !!!

Easy to post pictures so we can see what you are talking about !!
    boats with Keels will plane just the dont like turning to much and like to go in a straight line :D

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yep, boats with keels, skegs and other appendages can plane off fun, though as with everything there's a trade off, often as Tunnels mentioned, directional stability.

4. midnitmike

midnitmike Senior Member

Lets have a look at it.

MM

5. George K

George K Junior Member

Hello all!
    Thanks for the replies!we decided to go along with another hull (still keeled as the customer requires it) but at least i am sure this is planing, and i will be sending you pics shortly!
    Can anyone tell me how to calculate resistance? i guess Savitsky is ok but i think this requires a modified version. I have found an online calculator http://illustrations.marin.ntnu.no/hydrodynamics/resistance/planing/index.html

but this does not take into consideration the resistance of the keel.

Any suggestions please???

6. JSL

JSL Senior Member

Some drawings or sketches would be really useful

7. CDK

CDK retired engineer

A planing hull with a keel would make a nice ferry. Slowly point it to its destination, then open the throttle and have a beer.
    No crosswinds allowed of course.

George K, does your customer understand that a planing hull with a keel behaves like a train?

1 person likes this.
  8. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

The exact value of added resistance due to a keel will depend on the speed, keel shape and the amount of marine growth on it's surface.
    As a rough guide, with a drag coefficient Cd=0.006 (corresponding to a airfoil-like keel in mid-summer, with some marine growth on it), you might require roughly up to additional 60 HP of engine power (30 HP effective power) for each square meter of keel lateral area, at 30 kts speed.
    Since the power required to overcome friction is speed^3 dependent, it means that - assuming the above friction coefficient - you can calculate the additional power (due to the presence of the keel) via the following formula:
    EHP,add = Vkts^3 / 900
    That power, re-calculated for each given speed, has to be added to the results of that on-line Savitsky calculator you've mentioned.
    Cheers

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  9. eyschulman

eyschulman Senior Member

DE boats have keels some are relatively fast most fall into fast semisplacement catagory. I think poster is really in that catagory without drawings or pictures we may never know.

10. JSL

JSL Senior Member

Several people have suggested a sketch or drawing be submitted to make it easier to understand what is being discussed. I have been designing sail and power boats for about 40 years and one skill I have never mastered is reading minds. Keels come in different shapes and sizes, as do boat hulls.
    One thing I will offer is large keels on a fast boat can often affect the handling. In 2 instances, removing a keel (large skeg) turned the boat from a totally unmanageable beast (ie: dangerous) into a manageable one.
    Wishing you all a Merry Christmas

(ps: if I have missed a sketch- my apologies)

11. mihkel

mihkel Junior Member

12. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Looks like a planing hull, you should be telling us about the performance ! You may need to do some work with that exposed fibreglass, no good to have that exposed to water.

13. mihkel

mihkel Junior Member

Ill try to make a test run next month. Sanded, cleaned, filled and painted the whole hull from outside and inside. That old boat had so many layers of bad paint on it. Heavy work. But fiberglass showed no cracks and strong.

14. rick gray

rick gray Junior Member

Help to get performance info

Hello; i have an amphibious vehicle hull in thevworks (posted on search engine (Richard Gray) hope to get help on hull design > contact rickgray@telus.net if you can consult me thanks Rick

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.