Ultra Noob with a passion

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by bublik, Sep 5, 2006.

1. bublik

bublik New Member

Dear Boat Enthusiasts and designer pros,

I am what you would consider a "Super Nooby". I am a college student who has an unrivaled passion for boating. Now, I love powerboats, but I have been dreaming of starting a project to sail. Obviously my funds are limited but they are available if needed for something I will love. I live in the Midwest (US) and as most of you know, season is crucial.

With all of that in mind, I have a small dream of restoring an old 20' about sailboat and using it during peak season. Now, I am planning a budget of $5k or so, so a 20' is most likley out of the question. Cheaper is better and I do like size ;). I am decently handy with tools and work on cars as a hobby here and there, so I am ready for some constructive criticism on what I need to do.

I am completely lost on where a good starting point may be, but I think reading/knowledge is first and foremost. I see there is a library here, but I don’t know if I should get a boat building book, or restoration book, etc. I am also possibly looking for a job at a marina (suggestions open in Chicago land area) that would be work for knowledge/food/free storage etc, just not cash. Any help with trying to find a job and approaching a builder etc would be great.

Other than those ideas, I am open to all suggestions and would love to hear what you guys/gals have to say. I also need to learn terminology as well as how to sail.

Help me out and ill thank you a million times,

Eddie

2. Dan S

Dan S Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.