Pendulums effects?? CB, CG....

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wynand N, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Maybe everything I learned and practice about boat design was a waste of time.....

The following from a boating forum. Tell me what is wrong with what you are to read. I had a smile or two;)

2. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Was it signed "Mighetto"?;)

3. Robert Gainer

Robert Gainer Designer/Builder

Wynand, the first thing that jumps out at me is the fact the he comes from Puget Sound, in WA, the home of several other misguided individuals. Doesn’t mighetto come from that neighborhood also? The second thing is that he said in his profile that he is a “Blue-blood Americain back to 1625 A.D” He can’t even spell American let alone have a history that goes back that far. I was following the thread when it started and was surprised that you got involved at all. It must be a slow day for you.
    Robert Gainer

4. Wynand N

Soren & Bob,

No, I wish it was mighetto, then I could fathom this ramble for what it is.;)

Actually, the last two quotes are from a chap who is also a member here at Boatdesign.net. I will keep his name secret to save him some red face.
    I always thought that CG is fixed and CB changes with boat heel....and what can one say about raising CG when a boat heels and all that Pendulum effect. I agree, it smacks of Mighetto thought

This gentleman also answered my reply
    :confused: :D

5. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Help, did I drink that much? LOL

6. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

People with opinions who are convinced that they and only they have a true knowledgeable insight.
    They inhabit every boatyard, haulout facility (and now we can add forum) and are the bane of an engineers life, you either smile and nod idiotically waiting for them to go away or spend an hour explaing (or arguing ) some absolute basics that they have completely failed to grasp.

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I suspect whoever the poster was is talking about the position of the CG relative to the CB, taking the CB as fixed relative to the water surface... kind of an odd way of looking at things, but some of the statements seem a bit less strange in this context. Still somewhat contradictory and weird, of course.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Would a multichine screw up their arguments?;) I think those boat concepts came from a Disney cartoon

9. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

But as Gonzo also says above chined boats do not suffer from this imagined malaise and obey the laws of physics along with their round bilge cousins.

10. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

It seems like this guy is almost getting it. But not quite. Makes for some good comic relief!

How come every time someone (me too, at times) tries to show how 'learned' they are, they usually end up doing the opposite?

11. h_zwakenberg

h_zwakenberg HullDrag/32 programmer

Hallo Wynand, hello all others,

when heeling, CB moves mainly to lee, and hardly upwards (depending on hull shape). What changes a lot with heel is the position of the metacenter, which actually will be lower with heel. Perhaps the original author mixed up metacenter and CB?

As to hard chined hulls: when such hulls are rolling, the chine trips the partly lateral flow to locally separate and form a vortex. This creates extra resistance, which in turn dampens rolling somewhat. So, there is just a little merit in what he wrote, HOWEVER: when conditions are such, that round bilge hulls are in danger of a capsize, roll damping will not be so large that chined hulls aren't in danger as well....

just my 2 €-cents....

take care and keep those masts pointing upward,

12. Wynand N

Exactly. I tried to explain that CG is mass/weight and geometrically fixed. CB moves according to heel and change of submerged hull shape and that GM changes as well.

I believe my friend had it the wrong way around and I kindly did point this out to him.

However, the first four quotes are from a very confused gentleman:confused: ;) :D

13. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

I agree. Absolutely. Forums seem to be now a preferred place for that kind of people. :confused:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.