Eider Duck build

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by lewisboats, Jan 9, 2012.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Finally have something worth starting the build thread with. Panels are all cut out for the outside sides and inner side box sides.

[​IMG]

Front and rear panels butted together to give an idea of what it will look like.

[​IMG]

I have the chine logs and material for the various stringers and cleats cut out and the butt blocks will come from the scraps left over from cutting the front panels...there is just enough left over under the front curve.

2 people like this.
  2. lewisboats

Trying to decide...do I notch the logs and stringers or do I cut the butt block short to accommodate the block and stringer? The outside will get a layer of glass tape and epoxy so I guess either way will be just as waterproofed and just as strong.

3. lewisboats

Finally got the panels butt blocked together over the past few days and got one chine log on this morning. It was kind of a bear getting it bent...all kinds of glue everywhere and the panels are super flimsy being 3mm. Still...it went and that is all that counts. I'm assembling the parts in a spare room upstairs and it is interesting coaxing 10 foot sticks around the corners. Here are a couple of boring pics to go with. Oh...and I notched the chine log to bump over the butt block.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. lewisboats

Skipped ahead a bit...all the longitudinal cleating is done on all the panels. Of course I screwed one up...put the butt block on the wrong side so it will go inside and I will put a false butt on the other side to match. On the one below I have installed the cleats for the transoms and glued on the foam stiffener/flotation. I will glue another on the other (Same side) side panel and put chunks of foam to connect the two...making kind of a ladder inside. I'll also put a few wood braces from cleat to cleat. I left 1/2" on each end for the transoms

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. lewisboats

Poking along slowly...cut the transom panels today and also cut the wood cross pieces for the tanks. I found a beautiful clean cedar 1x2x8 that gave perfect vertical grain pieces. Still working on trimming the side panels and applying the foam.

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I'm surprised you aren't getting more responses to this thread. Thanks for posting it. I'm always interested in build threads, especially wooden ones.

7. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

watching in silence.

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

looking good
    I did read about this project but cant find it now
    please post the link
    what is the plan with the long boat?

9. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

10. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Wow . . . . that's thin . . . :eek: - - How thick (thin) is the bottom / bow / stern going to be ?

Don't step through the bottom if also very thin . . . :D

Is she going out of the window / is that measured yet . . . . ? ;)

Good luck !
    Angel

11. mctaggert

mctaggert Junior Member

Good luck with your build. It's always impressive to see a boat being built in a house. My wife always hates that!

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

The ancestor of my flat bottomed canoe was built in my living room, about thirty years ago. Fortunately for my health, I was living alone at the time... I've never had a woman who would have tolerated it. I used hand tools to minimize the mess, and it still took me months to get all the shavings and sawdust out of the carpet.

People used to comment on my cabin's nice piney smell....:D

13. lewisboats

The bottom is 4.5-5mm as is/will be the decks and side box tops. The panels have become very stiff (comparatively) with the addition of the peripheral 7/8"x 3/4" cedar framing and the foam in the middle. Feels about as stiff as the same shaped panel would be in 3/8" ply.

I get to build in the house because the only females here are canine and don't even worry about it. After paying for the house all the while the kids were here, after they left I gave here a choice...keep the house and take over the payments or I was moving in (regardless of whether she stayed or left)...she left. Frankly...I wish the house was half the size and the property was 4 times as big.

14. lewisboats

Picked up some new saws today to help with trimming and nipping off the excesses. Got a short 15" panel saw, an 11" pull saw, a Dovetail/jamb saw and a small flush cut pull saw for finicky work. I am expecting a couple of new planes to arrive today too... A 22" jointer and a smoothing plane...both from Groz. I expect they will take a bit (or maybe a lot) of fettling to get straight but the price was right. Not being that good of a wood worker I expect they will be more than sufficient for the foreseeable future...until I can afford some LNs.

15. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

A decent flush-cut saw is worth its weight in gold....

Never owned a 22" jointer plane (although I drooled over them now and then), because one of the first stationary power tools I bought was a power jointer. Doing carpentry and even cabinets, I don't remember ever needing to plane something in place.

But if I'd had a good jointer plane when my son and I built our flat bottomed canoe, it would've gotten a workout.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.