Peelply in handlaminate: uneven surface

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by querulant, Sep 16, 2011.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

The first thing to try is to do a sample layup without the peelply on one side, and with the peelply on the other side, and see if you get the bumps on both sides.

Micheals comment about the warts going in lines is very important - I thought it was from plank lines, but if not, then the weave of the fabric or the peelply is the key

PS - DO NOT apply epoxy to the top of the cloth.

The only thought that I can come up with is that the patches of 'above ground' epoxy, puckered the peelply, pulling along the threads as they cured. I know that when 'goo' dries, its distorts any fabric it is sitting on.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

It will be interesting to discover the cause of your problems. Im only an amateur laminator, using less than best craftsmanship, and have never had any wart type problems when using peel ply

3. querulant

querulant Junior Member

I am curious as well. The "warts" as you call them are aligned with the peelply, not with the wood grain (which was diagonal mostly).

I will try and do a couple of tests:

plywood, treated with epoxy, sanded, then laminated over. This covered in:
    -wet peelply (not soaking, but storage in 100% humidity)
    -dry peelply
    -no peelply
    -other peelply if I have it available (the sample of Econoply G is used completely)

and the same for a melamine board, to exclude effects of the wood that is beneath. (although I do not expect the wood to be the problem)

I will try and make photos in the process

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Perhaps take a sheet of peel ply, pour a bucket of water over it and watch the water run off to expose any " Beads" indicating contaminants ? But even then, contamination normally shows up as fish eyes, not warts, in the finished product.

On dockwalk there are a couple Pro laminater composite guys. Poster HERMAN is one. Perhaps pose your question directly to him..

5. querulant

querulant Junior Member

Good idea about the "water test". Although Airtech claims their peelply is scoured, you never know...

I will try and contact HERMAN as well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.