fishing vessel- pleasure boat

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by jollyricard, Aug 20, 2011.

1. jollyricard

jollyricard Junior Member

dear all,

I am an italian student; I don't understand because some small boats( pleasure boat) and fishing vessel are depowered;

who can help me?

Thanks in advance

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It would be helpful if you asked a specific question.

3. jollyricard

jollyricard Junior Member

i have found on board of a fishing vessel a engine of a certain size. It deliver a major power but it can deliver only a part of those installed. Why ? It is necessary to verify a specif requirement...............

4. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Jolly,

Engines are often detuned (only allowed to produce less than maximum power) in order to extend the lifespan of the engine. This is particularly true of engines that are in use by commercial operators that will operate the engine at some large percentage of maximum for long periods of time.

5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

For an industrial engine (not a car or truck marinization) the most common is 90/80

80% of the engines rated power at 90% of the rated RPM.

This seems to work well, but once you get up to ship sized (usually 95 to 105 RPM) they usually are run as built.

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.