Pedal Power or Oar Power - which is more efficient?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SailorDon, Jun 6, 2015.

1. SailorDon

SailorDon Senior Member

Thank you for your medical advice on knee surgery, Dr. portacruise!
    I get around just fine with my walker and wheelchair. :)

I just don't do marathons. :D (Which makes sense because I've never done a marathon.)

With respect to competitive bicycling; upright vs. recumbent, ask a bicyclist. Maybe they care. As an oarsman, I don't really care.

However if someone invents a recumbent pedal boat that the average dude can pedal at 10 mph constant into the wind and waves for 2 hours constant (with a beer in each hand), that would get my interest.
    It is important to stay hydrated while out rowing for a couple of hours.
    I still haven't figured out how to drink my beer while rowing. [​IMG]

2. frogger1225

frogger1225 Junior Member

Problem already solved. Also can be used for trim control.

Attached Files:

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

something like this is a better bet. less aerodynamic drag, more capacity, and lower CG. If you buy your beer, or other adult beverage in a 2 liter bottle, it will plug right in to this unit.

[​IMG]

4. penguin78

penguin78 Junior Member

I say, the most efficient is : Pedal-powered Oars.

I find the assumption that pedals have to rotate a prop, decidedly unimaginative

In your minds' eye you can see a prop rotating..it's at the perfect speed relative to the boat. However it's still twisting and cutting the water; Above and below that perfect ratio, efficiency is lost.. either the prop is dragging in the water because it's too slow, or the prop is slipping through the water creating turbulence because it's too fast.

Now imagine the oar-paddle.. Well, if you push that too hard, the resistance curve is steep, one can more readily gauge the optimum force, and optimum efficiency. If you don't push enough, the oar is carried efficiently back relative to the boat.. effectively stationary in the water, Exerting no drag and not slowing the boat, until it reaches the end of the stroke.. at which time it is removed from the water.

Without any calculations, based on my above simple description, and what you already know intuitively, and what you have felt when rowing, I'm sure you can believe that rowing / paddles are more efficient than props, whether they be driven by legs, or arms.

5. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Why is it my oars never foul, but my prop and strut do all the time?

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Well your strut likely isn't seeing enough use, so talk to the other half and get this possible prostrate issue worked out.

7. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Since you went there: outboards anything or pedal powered screws are far less efficient than oars when it comes to dealing with people who inflict bad puns on captive audiences. Definitely a plus for me.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.