Peapods - 14 Designs

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by DCockey, Jan 14, 2022.

1. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

The article in the link has lines and analysis for fourteen peapod designs. A Gallery of Peapod Lines https://www.woodenboat.com/gallery-peapod-lines Peapods are double ended, round bottom traditional boats from Maine, usually between 13 feet and 16 feet in overall length. Many were used for lobstering, rowing between traps. I have lines and data for another eleven designs, and am also doing some additional analysis. In addition comparisons are being made with dories of similar size.

2. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

Great article well documented with comprehensive information on stability and drag, thanks !

3. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

I am preparing a new upgraded version of the "Gene-Hull Canoe" spreadsheet application and within the various tests that I presently undertake, I generated a design inspired as close as possible from the Peapod « Cape Split », the first model of your list.

Gene-Hull is a design tool developed to generate a new design with a set of formulations requiring a short list of geometrical data and adimensional parameters. To represent exactly an existing linesplan is not its first goal and capacity, but nevertheless a close drawing « inspired by » an original plan can always be possible. So I named « CS peapod » this Gene-Hull interpretation « inspired by » the Cape Split.

Here attached the case sudy done with CS Peapod, adressing the same items that yours : the lines, hydrostatics data, mass spreadsheet, load input, free board evolution with load, initial stability, stability at heel angles, drag and speed prediction, and I add in annex the offsets.

By hoping this can be of some interest, I can do other examples (for the Examples document that I prepare anyway side to the application and its user guide).

Attached Files:

DCockey likes this.
  4. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Dolfiman, thanks for posting you work. I need to take time and go through it thoroughly, particularly your comments about stability.

5. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I'd like to make a Skin On Frame with removable cross frames so the stringers collapse into a bundle of sticks and skin comes off for folding up. Skin would be secured at gunnels when assembled, maybe with laced bungees to keep even tension.

6. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

What is the connection of this topic to Maine peapods?

7. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I'm thinking pod hull form would be ideal. A fat wide double end canoe shape.

8. Dave G 9N

Dave G 9N Junior Member

The peapod is a sea boat constructed for hard work and easy rowing. There are very similar inland lake boats that would be better for SOF construction. The Young, Gardner and Coast Guard peapods have a little more deadrise and bear considerable similarity to the Adirondack guideboat. The peapod has higher gunnels, a straighter shear and often a flatter bottom. Perhaps the Rangely Lake boat is closer to the peapod design. Any of them will row easily, but the much lower weight of a SOF boat will feel much more like the original guideboat or Rangely design. The higher freeboard of the peapod may be good for hauling a lobster pot but the windage will be a problem in such a light boat. When you row a guideboat solo, it is a spirited design. Add a passenger, and it responds differently, and with three 200 men and camping gear, maybe a case or two of beer, it is still a fast boat, dry in an 8-12" chop with all of 4" of freeboard, but not the same. The peapod is a fine boat, I have rowed one or two, and can't say anything bad about them, but I could live without the extra weight.

I have helped build and rowed one SOF guideboat. It was built to the lines of the Grant guideboat published in Durant's book. I prefer the somewhat finer lines of the Rushton from Manley's book. The objective difference is between Grant and Rushton is minimal. Either one can be rowed at 5 mph all day long. The scantlings were lighter than most SOF boats, very close to Platt Monfort's Aerolite canoes.

[​IMG]

BMcF and skaraborgcraft like this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.