Latest Technology Materials.

Discussion in 'Materials' started by tom kane, Dec 27, 2011.

1. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

I like the old method of building a DIY boat, building with lumber ply ect., But I want the latest material in this form. Sheets and timber sizes of Carbon Fiber or better manufactured in factory conditions.
    Kit-set style building with durable and strong material. Screw and glue joints and strengthen with tape rot free and easy maintenance. For bigger boats special size sheets to suit design.
    Is such a material available or would I need to manufacture material for myself.
    I would prefer a kit set already supplied ready to glue together.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

3. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Thank`s Doug it seems that what I want may be available. I would love a Classic Power Boat built in the methods of old ply boats.Quick and easy one off with low maintenance and
    dressed with real timber. I would not be happy with a plastic bath tub,just do not like the modern builds. I am sure it would be tight and very light.

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

ummm - you enjoy varnishing ??

Even the words 'real timber' and 'low maintenance' don't compute for me.

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

A modern wood epoxy boat is quite low maintenance and if constructed carefully and the paint and varnish is kept up should last a very long time. Varnish by it's very nature will require more care as it lets more UV through to the substrate and needs recoating every year.