Rhino v. Surfaceworks/Solidworks

Discussion in 'Software' started by J.Rhodes, Feb 19, 2006.

1. J.Rhodes

J.Rhodes Junior Member

Hello. I am a boat designer in progress. I have decent experience with Surfaceworks and enjoy the surface modeling freedom it provides me. I am thinking of investing more in my software and I do not know if I should upgrade my current surfaceworks/solidworks programs or start fresh with Rhino.
    Rhino seems to be popular but I know Surfaceworks. I searched the message board for surfaceworks reviews and found little.

Does anybody have any advice? Any comments are appreciated.

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

I will upgrade SurfaceWorks/Solidworks and buy rhino, use it as a platform for rendering, or translating files, I won't say surfacing because I guess you are comfortable whit what you have now, but if rendering and translating files is not an issue upgrade and buy Flattener instead.

3. J.Rhodes

J.Rhodes Junior Member

I hear that. It seems Rhino (and add-ins) has powerful rendering capabilities. What is Flattener?
    Thank you for your reply.
    Jesse

4. Caldera Boats

Caldera Boats Beer4Ballast......

IMOA, The Surfaceworks/Solidworks is a very good combo. Solidworks is a lot more powerful than Rhino. Rhino is kinda old-school, while SW uses the latest modeling techniques. The ease at which SW can make a part or assembly into a drawing is excellent.
    I use a combination of FREEShip/Solidworks/Surfacesworks. This has made full solid model rendering and final drawings a matter of days rather than weeks or months.
    :)

5. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Hi Rhodes,

Check the Aerohydro site they have a program for plate development called flattener, that works with surfaceworks.

And about the rendering capabilities for rhino, yes, rhino finally has some support form Vray and Brazil rendering engines that are very powerful, don't go with Flamingo I think for the price/results ratio I will go with Vray.

But if you don't need that much power from rhino, for rendering check carrara pro v5, lower cost than Rhino/Vray combination, very powerful rendering and quite good translator, and at the half the cost of Rhino/Vray.

6. J.Rhodes

J.Rhodes Junior Member

I am glad I posted this thread. The learning curve is now not quite as steep. I am going to check Carrara proV5. Compatibility is key.
    Thanks again guys.
    Jesse

7. Caldera Boats

One more note I should add about Solidworks. It has a nice feature called 'lofted sheet' which is primarily used in sheet metal developement, but I have found this to be very useful in creating flat patterns for hull panels and strakes.
    It is possible to design the hull with 3d solid model strakes, say 1/2 thick marine ply, and then flatten them to 2d geometery that can be used for cutting with a CNC router.

8. antonfourie

antonfourie Senior Member

So how much does SolidWorks cost ?

9. CGN

CGN Senior Member

I think around 3500-4000 US dollars, "basic" version

10. antonfourie

antonfourie Senior Member

I guess that I will have to make do with TurboCAD and Freeship for the moment.

11. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Try Rhino as well, the free demo lets you save 25 times (or more :).
    If you want parametric solid modelling, Alibre Design is quite simmilar to Sold Works at fraction of the cost, and Alibre Xpress is completely free. Alibre opens Rhino files as "surface features" that can be used in your solid models.
    Yes I am also selling it :)

12. Robbi

Robbi Junior Member

SolidWorks for marine design

Hi there!

Interesting discussion about using solidworks in marine design.

Our company that build aluminum boats switched also recently to
    solidworks as the main 3D software. Nice to have a parametric 3D design
    software with history. I think the history is also found in SurfaceWorks.

Could Raggi_Thor tell more about using FreeShip/SurfaceWorks/SolidWorks?

I think FreeShip could be something to do the preliminary desing in.

(This SOFTWARE forum should be divided into some subforums like RHINO, SOLIDWORKS, HULL MODELLING, CFD, FEM, etc)

Regards,
    Robbi

13. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Call me Old School if you want, but I just don't get the reference from Caldera regarding Rhino in that classification. Solidworks is in a seperate class of design software from Rhino. As soon as you engage parametrics in the software scene, you jump into much bigger dollars. Rhino comes at the problem differently and it's apparent that it works well, or so many NA shops and boat design outfits wouldn't be using it.

Is there an on-going fee to stay connected to the software after you have already plunked down the 5 large to get the package? Is the learning curve any easier now that you've paid the money for the higher-end stuff? Does your prospective clientele say, "Ohhhh, my, these renderings are so much better than the ones out of Rhino." ?

It's my opinon that it's tough enough to make a living out of the small boat design business. Throwing large amounts of start-up dollars at software while expecting that expenditure to start creating cash flow is not a good business decision.

These are just a few of the issues to be addressed for the smaller scale designer in the trade.

So, I'd say different school rather than old school and at this point in my career, Rhino is a real opportunity to have powerful modeling tools for what ends-up being very reasonable prices. I don't do boats over 25' right now and the really high horsepower packages are just not justified from my perspective.

Chris Ostlind

14. Caldera Boats

Rhino has its place as does pencil and paper. It really depends on what you prefer.
    For me, Soldworks has been the best $5600.00 I ever spent. The learning curve was not too difficult. Once I got proficient at using it, I have had more drafting work than I can handle (other stuff besides boats). It pays for itself in no-time. Also remeber that any software used in your business can be considered a write-off business expense, so why not get the best?
    :)
    Freeship is great for drawing up designs, kinda like a very powerful digital sketch pad.

15. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I don't know SolidWorks to well, but I did work with Autodesk Inventor for several years. Alibre Design as parametric and has many of the same features as Inventor. In addition, you have the link to Rhino. So you can make the hull in Rhino and the internal structure (paramtric) in Alibre.

I think SolidWorks and Inventor rely on Iges import for surfaces (?).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.