I’m new and want to try designing boats

Discussion in 'Software' started by caseys, Dec 26, 2010.

1. caseys

caseys New Member

Hello every one I am new to the sit and I want to try design boats as I am a fisherman and so I can see what comes from a fisherman’s point of view of boat made just for fishing. I have just finished school and will be doing TAFE in Australia (where I live) I want some
    thing constructive to do with my free time rater than just sit around watching to and that sort of boring stuff. Any way I am looking for free software to use and help would be very good.

Thanks caseys

2. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Before you start playing with software, you should read some introductory books on boat design. Also, read some of the many excellent discussions in the Design forums here.

If your maths is weak, you will not be able to do much except draw some nice coloured pictures of boats - that is NOT boat design. You will not understand their stability, or their drag characteristics, and you will not be able to demonstrate that your "designs" are safe.

I'm not trying to put you off boat design as a hobby or profession. Just be aware that it is much, much more than drawing pretty pictures. :)

Good luck!
    Leo.

3. caseys

caseys New Member

Ok I will have a look and get some books I an just looking for a free one at the moment to try so I can see if I like it or not. It is very much just a hobby and none will probably never be built. I don’t see it every being a profession. I tried to down load Free!Ship but it wouldn’t work any help plz.

Thanks caseys

4. Leo Lazauskas

You would be wasting your time with Freeship at this stage of your boat design "studies".

The best advice I can give you is to learn much more about the internet, how to search for information you need, and how forums on sites like boatdesign.net work.

Find beginner's guides to boats and boat design that you can read on the internet. (There is no need to spend a cent on paper books at this stage.)
    That should keep you busy for several weeks, maybe longer.

You must learn a lot of terminology before you can use Freeship and to discuss many aspects of boat design with people on this site.

Remember too, that's just my opinion.

Above all, have fun! (Because there's none to be had from watching the cricket)
    Leo.

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Welcome Caseys

Leo has given you some valuable advice.

Pity he can't give Pointing and his band of "merry men" any....There is plenty of fun watching the cricket...seeing how the shoe on the other foot feels :p:p

6. caseys

caseys New Member

Ok I will go over forums and internet for a look and read and think about it and I will see if I still want do it in a few weeks. Thanks for the info and advice.

Thanks caseys

1 person likes this.
  7. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

you are in australia so you are surrounded by boats .....so go look for something you would buy if you could afford it and then get on to software CARENE and start to design it ...transfer to freeship ( not delftship) and then get going with the stitch and glue...I suspect you will build something about 4 m in length....

Ignore the read for 12 months brigade this is australia we have boats in our blood

8. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Good advice pistonbroke....always best to encourage rather than talk down to people who express interest.

Im not a computer guy so cant pass on any software advice.

A good way to visualize the hull is by making " half hulls" . When I was a kid I made many half models....when I saw a design I liked I took off the crude dimensions ,then went to work with a band saw, chisel, hand plane and sandpaper. Learned much about hull shapes and how they will float in the water. What shapes a piece of plywood can conform to.............many lessons. A half hull is a very valuable design tool.

Check to see if there is a boat model club in your Hood'. Australians love to build boats and many modelers are using computer software these days.

Then Grab a chunk of softwood and start modeling !!!!!!!

9. Leo Lazauskas

Rubbish, it would only take at most several weeks to learn the terminology and the issues, not 12 months.

10. michael pierzga

Any way I am looking for free software to use and help would be very good.

Thanks caseys[/QUOTE]

Still no encouragement for this young guy...really sad.

Leo...the young guy is asking for advice on simple to use design software.....everyone knows that very soon he will hit the brick wall of terminology and mathematics . This is something caseys must find out for himself. First he asks for exposure to simple software as an introduction to yacht design .

A young person Sitting behind the computer messing around with software is far better than a young person with a beer in hand and a can of spray paint decorating your car.

Best to encourage then recommend software and books for beginner study. .

11. Leo Lazauskas

I did encourage him. You must have misunderstood me when I wrote:
    "I'm not trying to put you off boat design as a hobby or profession."

Leo.

12. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...do a search here on Eric Sponberg, he was good enough about 6 months ago to give us all a very interesting and "easy" to understand definition of many and important concepts......that will be a few weeks reading and question time just in that alone.

13. michael pierzga

Caseys...

With my mates, we used to build one meter class sailing boats.

We designed an built off home made, foam block, half hull models...I guess its all computer driven these days. Have a surf around the club websites to find out whats up.

Plenty of good stuff to be learned around the one meter gang...

http://onemetre.net/index.htm

http://www.modelboatracing.co.uk/

14. caseys

caseys New Member

I’ve been looking and I think I will go back to designing fishing lures with pencil and paper. Maybe the construction I would be able to do but I don’t think designing well be my thing.

Thanks caseys

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.