PDP System

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by pescauco, Apr 1, 2013.

1. pescauco

pescauco New Member

Hi everyone! What do you think about PDP (Powered Dynamic Pressure) System hull design? Especially in comparsion with the stepped hulls?

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Powered Dynamic Pressure - never heard of that. Talking about hovercraft, perhaps?

3. pescauco

pescauco New Member

No, no ... it is the deep V design but with specific sprey rails that forms sort of tunnels that suppose to give higher speed/lower fuel sonsuption, better stability and all without loosing soft ride of the deep V hull.

4. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

A link to a website with pictures and illustrations would be helpful.

5. pescauco

pescauco New Member

6. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

ok this is google translation but its readable enough:

"PDP SYSTEM - HULL PLANANTE A DELIVERY OF AIR

The love of the sea and nature has always inspired our technological research. The performance results of this know-how to reduce significantly the power of the engines and thereby reduce pollutant emissions, thus paving the way for innovative propulsion clean and considerably reduce the swell.
    Perhaps the most obvious is the almost complete invisibility of the hull PDP SYSTEM hulls than the classic "V" that have virtually all motor boats currently outstanding in the world.
    The "magic" of the PDP SYSTEM takes the form hand As the relative velocity increases in proportion to the weight / power ratio which has the boat.
    Since this occurs without the intervention of any mechanism or device, its operation gives the boat itself, provided that properly designed from the point of view of the basic geometry and position of the centers of gravity, a considerable increase in speed combined a safe, robust, absolute predictability of behavior in all sea conditions.
    Fuel consumption is reduced by up to 40%, you get an increase in battery life of up to 70% and more, pollution and operating costs are reduced dramatically favor of the owner and the environment.
    SYSTEM The PDP, as of today, then, is the bottom "V" the most technologically advanced and efficient."

So the description of the system is that its awesome and even more awesome. The benefits are that its good and better and above all awesome.

this video explains at least a bit what its about (besides being better):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK-equ6odQI

7. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Well, there's also that small British flag in the upper right corner of the home page... ;)

http://www.pdpsystem.com/index_eng.html

8. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

haha ooops.

9. pescauco

pescauco New Member

I see :)

10. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

I am not saying it doesn't work - just that the website lists the benefits in many palces but doesn't really explain the principle at all.

11. sottorf

sottorf member

I spent some time studying this in detail and talking to the guys from PDP. My personal evaluation is it may work for veer lightly loaded hulls which run only on top of the PDP spray rails. For a heavy boat I see no benefit.

I also compared the technical data of the two boats that were built back in the 70s using this system. The results show they are slightly better than a stepped hull in very lightly loaded conditions only i.e. racing boats.

Attached the US patent on the system for further information.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.