Tutorials or Training Materials for RhinoMarine

Discussion in 'Software' started by CET, May 19, 2006.

1. CET

CET Senior Member

Are there any training materials or tutorials available for RhinoMarine? Thanks.

CET

2. Grant Nelson

Grant Nelson Senior Member

www.vtc.com for $30 a month you get access to around 300 courses... the one for Rhino 3 is OK, but is basically priciples and overview, more for creative work than detailed, measured designs. Still, its handy to rush through it, then start using Rhino for design work, and using the short tool oriented videos to remind you how some command works... after the first 30 days you can quit, or maybe try the AutoCAD or Max 3d tutorials... and then you are hooked... heheh

3. CET

CET Senior Member

Grant - that looks like a very helpful site, but I don’t think it will help me with my particular problem. I’m actually pretty proficient with Rhino, but it is RhinoMarine, a plug-in for Rhino, that I’m looking for help with. I looked on the www.vtc.com web site and found a tutorial for Rhino but nothing for RhinoMarine. Thanks for your response just the same!:)

CET

4. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

CET

If you read all the help files and dig around on their website you should get up to speed. It is a relatively simple but very functional application.

Any specific advice you required ?

5. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

6. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

RhinoMarine help

Give me a buzz, Charlie. I'll be around all weekend with the exception of Monday morning when my daughter's team plays for the State title in soccer.

I can go over all the funky details in RhinoMarine with you. And yes, it needs a better instruction booklet and a couple of tutorials for folks who are breaking into boat design for the first time.

Chris

7. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

OOO...OOO...me too please:D :D :D You think you could do up a 101 txt file?

Steve

8. snow 57

snow 57 Junior Member

Also looking for tutorial

We are trying to buy online the training CD 'Modeling for the Marine Industry' by Cliff Estes but seem to chase our tails around the McNeel site without being able to order. When we search the Australian Rhino Dealer sites none seem to offer the training CD? Has anyone got it / know how to buy it online?
    Thanks
    snow 57

9. Steve Baer

Steve Baer Rhino Developer

1 person likes this.
  10. snow 57

snow 57 Junior Member

Design CD

Thanks for the replies,
    I have tried every thing to down load the training Cd but with no luck.
    Looked at the rapid hull site and yes it has some good info.
    My main problem is getting my design to be technically correct. I can draw it, but by the time I fair the shape it has changed too much from the desired measurements, i.e. the beam length ratio and my chine lines move.
    Any ideas?
    Snow

11. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

then why dont you do the lines in Freeship and shift it to Rihino?

1 person likes this.
  12. snow 57

snow 57 Junior Member

Hi LazyJ,
    I have maxsurf and have been drawing it there as well, though got stopped when I couldn't bond all the surfaces I wanted , that's when I got Rhino. Why can't I draw it in Rhino? I have the Marine version so it must be possible, no? I'm ready to try any thing so I guess I will draw the lines in Max then shift to rhino for the rendering , hydrostatic testing and so on.
    I am designing a sailing cat and was also struggling with Maxsurf in that I didn't know how to turn off the symmetry. I have since had help on that issue but haven't had time to get back to it, concentrating on learning Rhino.
    Thanks Snow

13. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

i cant help mate, I am hopeless with it all, those white lines with light grey background in Rhino are IMO, dreadful, that's my excuse:))

14. formsys

formsys formsys

Most people who use Maxsurf and Rhino together model the large, fair surfaces in Maxsurf first and then export the .3dm file to Rhino to add other bits and pieces. This approach works well. You can then come back to Maxsurf via 3dm to do stability, resistance, seakeeping etc.

15. snow 57

snow 57 Junior Member

Thanks

I have been drawing in rhino and agree it is difficult to do the hull though with patience it is possible. At this stage I have decided to persevere with it as things seem to be getting easier as I learn more about the program. I find it more user friendly than Max and the extra tools give you more options thus more fun!! Thanks for the reply and I will be doing some exporting back and forth to take advantage of all the functions.
    Cheers Snow

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.