Detailing in maxsurf

Discussion in 'Software' started by Danielsan, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Danielsan

Danielsan Amateur designer-builder?

Is it possible to create hull and deck forms in maxsurf with some higher level of detail?

What I would like to know is can you design the hull to deck joints in a program like Maxsurf? Could you for instance design every single layer of fiber you plan to use for the hull and the reinforced hull areas?

I did this in Solidworks with somekind of workaround.( It gives you a quasi exact distribution of weight) But as for now I need to redesign completely as I made a stupid mistake, the boat wasn't trailerable!!! :mad:

And for one reason or another i can't get the scape I want anymore in SW. So in the weekends I could use MS at a company that uses MS. So I am trying to figure if it is worth the time investing in MS than rather getting it to work in SW?

2. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Daniel

Don't do it, Maxsurf is intended as a precision surface modeller for creating highly accurate, fair surfaces. It's not for detail work.

This is where Rhino is good, or any of the solid modellers such as SolidEdge, Solidworks, Catia, Inventor etc.

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

lazeyjack

Andrew
    new to this, but say if I design 2 chine yacht and the sheerline width and upper chineline width are same on offset for several stations, how can I fair out the lower edge as one line blends to another, is it possible to have lines in different colours?
    And can one import known fair offseta into the design, and third how, does one put rows into body plan, tutorial is vague on that
    thanks

4. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

You can drag a selection rectangle around multiple points so that they move together in the plan view. If you want to fair the edges separately, use surface visibilty to hide the surface you don't want to see.

You can import known fair offset data, but this is not a surface, it is just points, you then need to fit a surface to it manually or with Prefit.

To add surface rows in the body plan, the easiest thing to do is to have only one column of control points showing, that way it is clear where the row is being added.

Maxsurf adds a point into the current column of control points (as shown by the control point indicator in the control box in the top right corner of the body plan), and then it adds points in a proportionally similar position in the columns fore and aft of the current columns. If you have the Net displayed instead of just a single column, you need to make sure that you have the correct column selected or the results of adding the row will not be what you expect.

Let me know if this is not clear and I will try to clarify further.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.