Paul B ban

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by PAR, Aug 28, 2012.

?

Should Paul B get removed from the discussion board?

1. Yes (user confidential)

12 vote(s)
    92.3%
  2. No (user confidential)

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Should Paul B get tossed from the board?

He's likely the most notorious that's managed to slide under the wire of acceptability. He's intelligent and articulate, but this isn't what he's most noted for. He's most noted for coming into a thread and turning it into his latest attempt to prove himself better than others, typically by degrading, insulting, and hijacking a thread for some warped and often irrelevant points of contention, particularly in regard to thread topic. There are several members that he picks on when able, though no one is safe, regardless of industry presence, as recent posts have (again) born out.

We've had to deal with this type previously and Paul B does attempt to do better every so often, likely after a PM from a moderator or other forum member, but he returns to his usual ways quickly enough.

Does he go or stay?

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I've reached my limit in dealing with his rudeness and his pompous though at times uninformed attitude. A very good thread that a number of guys have been working on for a long time has been seriously harmed by "B's" antics. His personal attacks on me, PAR, Eric Sponberg and many others have dragged on for a long time. It's unfortunate for the forum.....

3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

For what ever reason, he seems to have shown a modicum of restraint towards me even when I've posted rubbish. I'm very weak in his area of expertise, and I have a really thick skin. So no. But I certainly understand the frustrations that fellow Samaritans must feel when faced with his posts. Also, I don't feel so bad with Paul around. I can almost convince myself I'm being tactful. :eek:

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I am loathe to ban anyone without an ultimatum. Has he received one? I may be next in line because I sometimes fail to be tactful. I try to catch myself and delete offensive remarks but some are engraved in stone on this forum which, too late, I regret having posted. That said, no one gets to repeat being offensive without being forced into exile, no one. Fortunately for some here, I am too dumb to know when I am being insulted. :)

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

6. PAR

He's been warned repeatedly and even argued the tactics taken by the moderator, when threads have been spit up (or closed), to ease tensions or allow him to rant and rave in a different thread, rather continuing to pollute the one he entered. He's probably got Asperger's syndrome. Repeatedly upon his arrival in a thread, several worthless pages ensue, as he berates and insults.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Hey, I got Asperger's. I think that the number of times he has disrupted threads is what has so many people upset about him.

8. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Who is Paul B.????

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Exactly what I asked myself so I did a little research and checked out his posts starting at the last. I got as far as the sail boat racing thread discussing the use of the trapeze (i spelled it correct this time). If this is a repeat of former escapades and he's been warned,I have to agree. Being more oriented in building than design I hate to see qualified talent leave as you guys are so important to our learning and solving problems. However this is suppose to be professional give and take and it can't function properly with snide remarks and personal attack. Sorry Paul Old Man but I have to agree on this one, hopefully a temporary time out rather than permanent will solve the problem as someone mentioned you also have great talent and we all lose when that goes by the wayside.---

10. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

I had a vague idea of who he is,not in the same areas,but usually ignore such.

What is telling though is 1920 posts with a rep of 20.

11. PAR

He's been warned and disciplined by the moderators more then once (several times).

12. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I agree, he must go. He does not seem to know how to behave, even when warned. No matter what talent he might bring, if his presence only harms everyone else, his participation is worse than useless, and indeed becomes harmful to this forum, and likely to himself as well.

13. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I like to think of the forum members as kindred spirits. I have great admiration for quite a few of you and I am most impressed by the generosity of so many members. The accumulated knowledge and experience is priceless.

We can and do disagree on some things but we are generally respectful. I do not think of any reason that might persuade us to tolerate continuous disruptive and rude behavior. PB is apparently a smart guy who is his own worst enemy and he does not seem know it.

14. PAR

Agreed, Paul B is knowledgeable, but this isn't the point and certainly not enough (any more) to tolerate this type of behavior.

15. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

It is unfortunate that it didn't work out as Paul B's knowledge of some aspects of sailing was superb and quite interesting at times. But for the forum to work members have to be polite to one another. The forum has to be a place where people are not afraid to share ideas or projects or answer for fear that they will be attacked. The forum has to be a place where everyone can enjoy coming and taking part and not be attacked personally. If anyone finds himself wanting to fight with someone or provoke someone to fight, please take a step back and try to work it out and either ignore them or reach some common ground. The insults need to be taken to some other site, and statements such as
    are just not what the forum here should be used for. Too many negative jabs, personal attacks, and demeaning others creates a bad environment. It's unfortunate that it didn't work out, but it seems the same problem would simply occur again and again. Hopefully Paul B will find a better venue for sharing his knowledge without needing to provoke fights with or intentionally irritate other members here.

< not able to search forum on nexus 10 tablet | Question for the moderator >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.