Patrol Boat Design Structure

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sifundo, Mar 6, 2014.

1. sifundo

sifundo Junior Member

Good day members. I have tasked to develop a project plan and would like to enquire Who does each of the following task in boat designing and please also clarify for me as in which sequence should each job be done ( start with what and finish with what work?: 1) Install the Instrumentation, 2) Insert the mast, 3) Install the radar, 4) Place the main Engine, 5) Install the drive train, 6) Mount the machine gun, 7) Build the hull, 8) Fix the propeller, 9) Install the bulkheads, 10) Lay the deck.
    Please help!

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You are asking for a job that will take maybe 200 hours or more. This is something a Naval Architect or engineer would contract to do. The report will have anything from 50 to 400 pages, depending on the detail and how much of the accesories' specifications, etc. is included.

3. Westfield 11

Westfield 11 Senior Member

Seriously, you are actually uncertain if "build the hull" comes before "mount the machine gun"? If so, might I suggest that you need more help than can be found here.......?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You could suspend the machine gun and build the boat under it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Welcome to the forum,

Is this some kind of class design exercise? I can not see anyone allowing these critical and costly steps be left to someone that needs such basic information. A little more background might be useful so we can to help you.

As to your question, as an experienced engineer who has worked in several industries, all of these planning stages of building any vehicle, vessel or even a building, depends on a lot of considerations. Usually you go through the design phase of each major system and than get the different design groups together to integrate them. Including in the planning and design phase would be the building or construction sequence. This usually requires building the largest components first (hull, fuselage, primary structure, etc.), and than adding each of the sub components in descending order of size. however careful consideration must be giving not just to size and access, but future maintenance considerations of all of the systems. For example there are many maintenance personnel who curse the design team that requires the crew to lift or remove the engine to do routine maintenance. If there is no way around having to remove major components (or even structural members like bulkheads to get access) to do repairs or maintenance, at least design it so it can be removed fast with a minimum of fasteners or parts (for example, removing a thwart or bulkhead can be fairly fast if it was designed to come out with a few large fasteners and it comes out as a complete assembly rather than dozens of small fasteners and involve lots of small parts). This usually adds some weight but will save lots of maintenance costs over the life of the vessel.

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Call all the trade unions together and let them sort it out :D

1 person likes this.
  7. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

You probably are a disadvantage person who took the job over from a qualified person. The first thing you do.
    1) find some pictures and idea's of what you want.
    2) find in Cape Town a Naval Architect to check in what you have in mind is not sinking your creation.
    3) You make the hull
    4) You install the bulkheads probably parallel with 3)
    5) You lay the deck
    6) You mount the main engine, provided you ensure that the engine can be lowered in the hull.
    7) Install the drive train
    8) Fix the propeller and somebody else place the mast at the same time I assume it is a small mast.
    9) Install the radar
    10) install the Instrumentation
    11) why mounting a machine gun, make love not war.
    If everything fails, buy a boat from a good shipyard
    Bert

hoytedow likes this.
  8. Westfield 11

I think it would patrol better with some fuel tanks..... Maybe even a toilet, kitchen and electricity, but unless you have a really long waterproof extension cord you will need a generator, too.

hoytedow and Fanie like this.
  9. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

I think it probably needs 2 engines/gearboxes/line of shaft/props/rudders & actuation & 2 generators, an anchor windlass with chain & anchor or two, a good size gun on the bow, a 50 cal down the back, a rocket launcher, some rests for small arms, communications, split(maybe 6) tankage for good range for the twin 2000 hp propulsion, accomodation for 15-20 happy sailors- racks & cabins, signal lamps, loud hailers, a nice funnel, a good armory full of weapons, maybe some handrails to keep everyone onboard, a mess, plenty of water, a galley to cook for the crew & prisoners or refugees, freezers, fridges, ventilation & air conditioning, laundry, heads, showers, plenty of pumps for fire, fresh & salt water, lubrication, they always like a nicely raked bow on a patrol boat, some life rafts, maybe a RIB to send on missions.............. lots of food, plenty of shade,

maybe something like this .. http://aso.gov.au/titles/tv/sea-patrol-cometh-the-hour/clip3/ ..... or this..... http://www.youtube.com/watchv=flFdTAYlB_I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flFdTAYlB_I

All the best from Jeff.

1 person likes this.
  10. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

So they can shoot each other before the rocketman beats them to the switch.;)

11. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Come on RX, that would be nearly impossible without shooting the superstructure to smithereens & the command on the bridge, of course there's with some very "lucky" aim with a near vertical trajectory http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~broholm/l5/node4.html#SECTION00012010000000000000 it is very very unlikely posiblity that you could hit the operator of the other weapon some 20 meters away but for both to achieve that would defy the resources of ammunition available & likely at best for each weapon operator to take themselves out.........

;)You can't be serious ......

Jeff.

12. Westfield 11

That's OK, the OP wasn't serious either.......

13. rxcomposite

Of course I am not.:D
    When we made a patrol boat, one gun forward, two on the side, there is a limiting stop so that the gun cannot swing more than 120 degrees. Just in case the gunner lose control, got hit, or whatever, so he does not shoot the ones on the pilot house or onto each other. And it is entirely possible because one of the requirement is for the one in command to have a 360 degree view. Lots of glass windows. There is also a bullet shield in front of the gun.

And oh, some patrol boats are required to absorb the shock of nearby exploding mine. The bottom hull plating can be unreasonably thick.;)

hoytedow likes this.
  14. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

I wish my patrol boat had bottom plating "unreasonably thick".... I own 1/24,000,000 of one, but do at times get to steer & push the throttles forward to bring the 1000's HP into effect.... it is pretty cool!

Looks like I've been duped:rolleyes:... another one post wonder strikes again.....;)
    Just guessing but probly doing a Project management workshop.... & looking for a quick fix to put on the butchers paper with the colourful pens:D

Jeff.

15. rxcomposite

Jeff- I just made light of the situation but in your post No. 9, you pretty much nailed it.

There are more rules and requirements especially if built to class. It can be daunting and sometimes the SOR conflicts.;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.