Part 2 - Opening the Belly of the Beast

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Deeman, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Deeman

Deeman Junior Member

Ahhh.. the saga of "Opening the Belly of the Beast" continues....
    In dire need of words of marine wisdom as converting the moldy water Beast to elegant Princess will begin in August.

Still In process with opening her up, I have discovered more strange things today. One thing I discovered is that at 60 it's hard for this ol' fart to do much of anything in this heat.
    But the will to "get er done" and "done right" is prominant. BUT, I will never do another floor !!! The young farts that are suppose to help have all disappeared. Funny how that happens. FB itch has that effect on those new to the "project boat" environment. Looking for volunteers....free showers!

Below is a Pic of the main stringer and engine mount(s) stringer(s). both sides the same.
    Pic 326a
    Arrow 2, points to an area that has no drain to the bilge on either side..is that normal? 3" of water stays trapped there. could be used for mosquito habitat or mold farming.
    Arrow 3, has the fibergalss pulled away from the stringer and has original foam between it and the lumber. Not my doing. great craftmansship.

Also the 1/2" pvc pipe that runs to the bilge under the engine is clear of debris since I ran a 18' gun brush type affair in it, from the drain hole in the transom.
    However, as you can see from the pics 2 & 3 (below) there is standing water trapped in the compartment between the gas tank and cuddy. The foam was wet for the lower 8"
    Pic 324 compartment 2
    Pic 327 Dry Bilge
    Here's why.
    The next pic has all the foam and water outta there..there are NO holes in the 1/2" PVC..should there be? I would think yes.
    Pic 336a, Pic 338
    Else, (as now) the PVC pipe will only drain from one point in the bow of the boat just under the cuddy well, to the rear. Doing nothing inbetween.
    I would think that if this were a perferated piece of PVC, this boat would never have had it's foam/water retention problem.
    Is my assumption correct?

I have not removed the tank yet, it's full, 90+ gallons of old gas. Don't quite know what to do with it or where to put it...suggestions?
    I am sure there is no drain in that compartment either. The PVC pipe just runs underneath the tank in a solid hole free piece.

Another strange thing is the main stringers do not have any weep holes leading to the bilge.
    I would think one limber hole or relief in the outer stringer should be close to the transom, so that any water can drain to the bilge......Correct?

New floatation foam better product then 24 years ago or same stuff?
    Mine seems to crumble.

Comments Please.

Eric H, old, tired, hot, wet and full of FB.
    Pictures: project in procress