Power prediction : Holtrop-Mennen

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TANSL, Dec 17, 2013.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I attached a spreadsheet with the Holtrop-Mennen method.
    If anyone finds it interesting it can be downloaded and, if anyone thinks of any modification or improvement, I would greatly appreciate that tell me.
    Thank you
    NOTE: See you next posts. There may be program updates (see post #21)

Attached Files:

• H-M.zip
      H-M.zip
      File size:
      77.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  2. Olav

Olav naval architect

Nice one, TANSL! Thanks for sharing.

Some comments:

It would be nice if users were able to change the water density and kinematic viscosity.

The user is asked to enter the prismatic coefficient, although this could be directly calculated by the spreadsheet, since cP = cB * cM = (V/LWL*BWL*T) * cM. The best (read: most comfortable) solution in my opinion would be to enter one of the values and have the spreadsheet figure out the missing ones.

What is the definition of "transom wetted area"? I cannot remember such an input value from when I dealt with the Holtrop-Mennen method some time ago, but judging from the data from the example case the transom wetted area is not identical to the submerged area of the transom.

Anyway, nice effort! Thanks again!

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Olav, thanks for your comments. I will keep that in mind and, when given any more, I will include them in a new version, which will uploaded in the forum.
    The term "wetted transom area" may not be adequate. Meant the submerged area of the mirror: ATR

1 person likes this.
  4. Olav

Olav naval architect

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it!

Ok, but then it means the same thing. I was confused because there are two different transom areas in your example case (16.0 m² in the Main Particulars and 4.6 m² where the stern shape is specified).

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Yes, there is a mistake. The program does not use the second area, it calculates with the 16 m2.
    You can change wáter density as desired.

6. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Is the program working? I was expecting output and a graph plot when I press calculate.

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

The results should appear on the second sheet.
    See attached program with some corrections.
    NOTE : please, go to post #21 to download file.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  8. Olav

Olav naval architect

Two possible sources of error:

1. Did you allow macros to be executed in Excel?
    2. Did you have zero knots as your lower limit of the vessel's speed range?

It worked perfectly fine on my PC and gave the same results (within expected round-off errors) as my own Holtrop-Mennen spreadsheet.

9. rxcomposite

TANSL, Olav

I downloaded the second version and still the same. What am I doing wrong?

I enabled editing and enabled content as instructed by Excel, loaded the sample inputs then pressed the calculate button. Nothing!

I am interested as I have tried programming this before but was not so confident.
    1. The wavemaking formula (Havelock) has 3 speed ranges
    2. The Wetted Surface Area (WSA) formula for bulbous bow, has 3 different versions from 3 different sources. One from PNA, one from Tupper, the third one I could not remember at the moment. I do not know which one is correct as it gives different values.

10. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

rxcomposite, I do not know what could be causing the problem. If anyone has experienced the same situation and resolved it would be very helpful if he could explain how he did it. Thank you.

11. rxcomposite

I have Olav's Holtrop- Mennen downloaded from the spreadsheet library and the links provided by Quequen, Spanish & English at -http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/hydrodynamics-aerodynamics/holtrop-mennen-method-excel-spread-sheet-49058.html

All working perfectly as downloaded from the forum so there must be something that is preventing TANSL's version. Sent you a PM TANSL.

12. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Hi Ignacio,
    I have used the "Load example" button in your spreadsheet, and then clicked on "Calculate".
    Got this error message:
    Holtrop error.jpg
    Apparently, there is a non-defined variable called "fila" in the script. Hope it can help you in debugging.

Cheers

13. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

daiquiri, thanks. The variable "fila" is not declared and therefore can fail. My computer does not generate this error but in fact may occur.
    You can declare the variable "fila" as a integer, in the subroutine "calcula" or download the file again from post # 37, I've already changed.
    Cheers
    Ignacio

14. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Thanks Ignacio.
    I have downloaded the updated version and have run it. No error messages this time, but unfortunately I have to confirm Rxcomposite's observation. The "output" sheet remains blank after the calculation is performed. The spreadsheet visibly does some iterations for a fraction of the second, but doesn't write the output to the "output" sheet.
    Cheers

15. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

This is a major problem. I must investigate why it happens. I'm working with Windows 7 and Office 2010. Thank you.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.