Fuel tank material use in 1977 Gulf Star 37

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by MunMan, Oct 10, 2016.

1. MunMan

MunMan New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find out the type of material that was used in the original fuel tank on a 1977 Gulf Star 37.

Background:
    I'm installing a forced hot air furnace (diesel) and if the tank is fiberglass I would drill it and drop in a pick up.
    However, if it's steel I'm not so sure I'd bother to drill it. Thinking I'd add a small (5-10 gal) plastic type tank in the back of the engine room/compartment.

The survey says it's a fiberglass tank,.. But thought I'd double check, cause it's imbedded in the bottom of the boat and covered with fiberglass, as are all the tanks on the boat, so you can't see what the tank is actually constructed of.

Thanks,
    Munden

2. Barry

Barry Senior Member

Do not tap into the engine fuel line. At least per the Hurricane manual. The fuel pump on a diesel heater is very small and the suction that the engine fuel pump can cause in the line can make it difficult for the heater fuel pump to provide fuel for the heater.

Not sure if this is the case on other heaters.
    Also check to see if you heater needs the heater fuel pump to be gravity fed. Ie flooded suction as this might impact the location of your heater fuel tank

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.