The Bihanig fun little Yawl rigged cruiser

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ddoyle, May 30, 2014.

1. ddoyle

ddoyle Junior Member

[​IMG]
    Came across this little boat following some links over on the french Nautical Trek site. Thought that someone else out there might find it as interesting as I did. Yawl rigged, chine runners and a general jaunty air.
    Could be built from the concept drawings but the
    plans are reasonable money and the designer (Yann Quenet) is responsive.

Maybe I am still smitten with the idea of her but for some reason I just think she might fill a void in the catalogue of dreams.

Enjoy

Yann's website: http://www.boat-et-koad.com/

Concept drawings:

https://plus.google.com/photos/116209811814901622777/albums/5960682187247744417?banner=pwa

2. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

nice design. I might bring it to a complete point in the front adding another foot of so of length.

What would the advantage be of having a mizzen sail on such a small boat? I would be tempted to to just have a simple cat rig, less rigging and less messing around with sails and rigging.

4. ddoyle

ddoyle Junior Member

I am just guessing (Cause I did not design it and my technical knowledge is limited) but I hypothesize that the rig is smartly designed to work with the plump hull and to leave the cabin space uninterupted. With out the mizzen the main would need to come back (?)

Plus who would not want self steering in a boat that is not going to set any speed records between ramp and anchorage LOL.

A tarp strung between masts and wieghted over the gunnels with the ballast jugs would give alot of cooking, eating and chilling space.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A 2 sq. ft. mizzen is a contrivance at best.

Even with a jib sheet bungee corded to the helm, you'd never get this boat to self steer for very long. It's too small and every little wavelet will slap it off course. The hull doesn't appear to be optimized for the rig.

A hammock still can be rigged, you just need a suitably sized stick and a holder.

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Cute little boat. I suspect that it will be ill mannered, overburdened with a second occupant, slow, and not particularly comfortable. Its' saving grace is that it will fit into a small space when stored. It is cute and will appeal to people with limited boating/sailing experience if any experience at all.

7. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Reminds me a little of an El Toro racing dinghy I owned as a kid. 7'8" long and 4' beam pram. It was just a Marconi mainsail though. Dagger board.

8. ddoyle

ddoyle Junior Member

Thanks guys, good food for thought. Cramped and slow does not concern me but I am listening to concerns about the sail plan. My interest was of course in the novelty and the shallow draft of the chine runners but novelty counts for little if she wont behave with some smartness. You now have me re looking at the West Mersea Duck punt.......

The designer presented the craft as a concept boat so I don't think there is much harm in constructive criticism or ideas for making her work. All ears here.

Thanks

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Runners only work on certain hull forms and they are lack luster at best when fitted on the right hull. This hull doesn't appear to have sufficient bury for these to work all that well. Compared to any other appendage configuration, they'll be a bit wanting. I suspect even a full length keel batten of say just a few inches would work better, without drastically altering the draft. I mean the boat looks to draw a few inches, so a few more inches, placing you in angle deep water, can't be that much of a hindrance. Matt Layden has toyed with this with much more success than most. You may want to give him a shout, as he'd be the one to discuss the finer details.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.